This Mexican Salmon Salad is full of flavor, healthy and low carb. Plus it’s ready in less than 20 minutes. This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights or for meal prep!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
The Best Easy Mexican Salmon Salad
I am always looking for quick weeknight meals that are also healthy. Something I can throw together in less than 30 minutes that isn’t loaded with calories. This Mexican Salmon Salad is the perfect healthy and fast meal for a busy weeknight dinner. It also makes a great lunch for meal prep!
This salad is full of flavor and is so easy to throw together. I seasoned the salmon with a homemade Mexican spice rub. It is a blend of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and cumin. The spice blend gets rubbed on the salmon before it’s seared in a hot skillet. The base of the salad is a mix of baby kale and arugula. You can use whatever lettuce you have on hand. The salad is then topped off with thin slices of red onion, jalapeño, black beans, corn and creamy cotija cheese. Perfection!
Serve with my classic margarita or add some jalapeños for a spicy twist.
To make this easy Mexican Salmon Salad, you need just a few fresh ingredients, including:
- Salmon Filets: I always try to look for fresh never frozen salmon!
- Spring Salad Mix: Or your preferred greens, like spinach or romaine lettuce!
- Veggies: I used a combination of jalapeño, red onion, cherry tomatoes and corn here! YOu can feel free to add anything else you think would go. Bites of cucumber or olives would also be delicious!
- Black Beans: Black beans add a little bit more substance and added texture! You can also use pinto beans.
- Cotija Cheese: Cotija cheese is creamy and crumbly, perfect for this Mexican salmon salad recipe!
- Mexican Spice Rub: To make a quick Mexican spice rub for the salmon, just combine paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. Adjust to your spice preference when preparing.
- Honey Jalapeno Dressing: I like to serve this salad with my homemade honey jalapeño dressing. You can also use ranch or your favorite store-bought dressing! Feel free to serve this with some homemade croutons on top!
How To Make mexican salmon salad
- Season & Sear: Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Season salmon with Mexican Spice Rub. Add salmon skin side down.
- Flip: Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Assemble: To assemble the salad, divide the spring mix between two bowls then top with the cooked salmon, jalapeño, red onion, black beans, tomatoes corn and cheese. Dress with the jalapeño honey dressing or any of your favorite dressings!
Tips for Success
- Make it your own! The options here are endless. You can add avocado and bell pepper, and feel free to omit any of the veggies here! If fresh jalapeño is too spicy, try pickled jalapeños!
- Don’t over cook the salmon! When you are cooking fresh, thawed salmon, it should take just 3-4 minutes on each side. If your salmon filets are particularly thick, it might take a little longer! Be sure not to touch the salmon until it is ready to turn over. That way, you can get a nice sear on the fish!
- If you don’t want to use salmon, this Mexican dry rub would also be delicious on chicken or even shrimp! In any case, this Southwest-inspired salad will be substantial and delicious.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if salmon is done cooking?
Salmon is done once it is cooked to 145 degrees F! You can tell once the salmon easily flakes apart that it is done. To be sure, you can use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the thickest part of the filet!
Can I use frozen corn?
You can use any form of corn you have on hand. Fresh, frozen, or even canned would work well. If using frozen, make sure to thaw it before adding it here. If it is canned, make sure to drain it well!
More Salad Recipes To Try
- Chopped Kale Quinoa and Avocado Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
- Greek Kale Quinoa Salad
- Southwest Chicken Salad
- Blackened Shrimp Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad
Mexican Salmon Salad
Mexican Salmon Salad
Mexican Salmon Salad
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Season salmon with Mexican Spice Rub. Add salmon skin side down.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- To assemble the salad divide the spring mix between two bowls then top with the cooked salmon, jalapeno, red onion, black beans, tomatoes, corn and cheese.
- Drizzle with the Honey Jalapeno Dressing.
Mexican Spice Rub
- Combine all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.