Shrimp Avocado Salad
This Blackened Shrimp Salad recipe is loaded with tons of flavor and piled high with fresh ingredients like salsa, corn, black beans, avocado, and spicy blackened shrimp. This is an easy, healthy, and tasty summer meal!
Looking for more salad recipes? Then, you’ve got to try my Southwest Chicken Salad and my Mexican Kale Salad!
Shrimp Avocado Salad
I love making salads for dinner in the summer. They’re quick, easy, and use up lots of summer produce. That’s a win-win-win in my book!
I loaded this Shrimp Salad up with tons of classic Hispanic flavors from the grilled corn, black beans, salsa, and fresh lime juice. Then, the salad gets a spicy kick thanks to the blackened shrimp, which is then cooled down a bit the creamy avocado. Perfect for a light lunch or dinner!
For the dressing, I used my Honey Jalapeño Dressing! It’s slightly sweet, tart, and super creamy. This is a balanced, protein-packed, healthy, and delicious salad that will fuel you through summer!
Why You Need To Make This Salad
- It’s loaded with flavor.
- Light, fresh and healthy.
- Perfect for meal prep!
- Takes less than 10 minutes to throw together.
- Only requires a few ingredients.
- It’s topped with spicy blackened shrimp!
What Is Blackened Shrimp, Exactly?
The blackened shrimp makes this shrimp avocado salad. It has the perfect amount of spice and adds so much flavor to the salad. Use store bought blackening seasoning of try my Homemade Blackening Seasoning, which is simply equal parts paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, dried thyme, dried basil, and oregano combined in a small bowl. You can always make extra and store the homemade blackened seasoning in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 months. After that, the spices tend to lose their potency.
Ingredients for Shrimp Avocado Salad
For this easy Avocado Shrimp Salad, all you need is some fresh ingredients and a little prep work. In total, it takes less than 10 minutes to make from start to finish!
- Shrimp: I like to use jumbo peel and deveined shrimp for this recipe.
- Blackening seasoning: Use your favorite blackening or cajun seasoning.
- Spring mix: Or your favorite type of lettuce! Romaine lettuce, spinach, butter lettuce or any of your favorite salad greens would work great in this recipe.
- Black beans: Canned black beans are added to the salad. You could also use pinto beans as well.
- Corn: I used grilled frozen corn from trader joe’s. Any type of sweet frozen corn would work. Use fresh corn in the summer!
- Pico de gallo: Use homemade pico de gallo or your favorite store bought salsa. You could also just add some diced tomato to this salad instead.
- Avocado: You could also add guacamole instead!
- Dressing: I dressed this salad with my Honey Jalapeno Dressing. The dressing tastes sweet, tangy, creamy with a little bit of heat! The perfect dressing for this salad.
How To Make Shrimp Avocado Salad
- Saute the Shrimp: Add olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium high heat. Sprinkle shrimp with blackening seasoning. Saute until fully cooked, 3-4 minutes or until opaque. You could also grill the shrimp for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Assemble the Salad: To assemble the salad fill two bowls with mixed greens. Top with cooked shrimp, black beans, salsa, corn and lime wedges, if desired.
- Serve: Serve immediately with a drizzle of sour cream, ranch or my Honey Jalapeno Dressing!
- Cotija cheese or Shredded Mexican cheese
- Tortilla strips
- Diced red onion
- Pickled jalapeños
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best way to thaw frozen shrimp?
I have found the best way to thaw frozen shrimp is to let it defrost in the refrigerator overnight. I prefer this method over defrosting from frozen in cold water.
How do I peel shrimp?
I like to buy my shrimp peeled and deveined. All that’s left to do at that point is to remove the tail before or after cooking.
If you shrimp isn’t prepped at all start by removing the legs and the head. Discard shells then using a small paring knife cut along the back of the shrimp and remove the vein. Set aside and continue with the rest of the shrimp.
Store Shrimp Avocado Salad or ingredients in the refrigerator. This recipe is perfect for meal prep! If you are prepping this recipe ahead of time or have leftover avocado keep it fresh by squeezing lemon juice on top to keep it from browning.
More Healthy Salad Recipes To Try
- Greek Kale Quinoa Salad
- Mexican Salmon Salad
- Summer Fruit Salad with Mint and Lime Juice
- Greek Kale Quinoa Salad
- Watermelon Feta Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad
Blackened Shrimp Salad
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 12 large shrimp deveined, tails removed
- 1-2 teaspoons blackening seasoning depending on how spicy you like it
- 4 cups spring mix or your favorite lettuce
- 1/2 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup grilled corn
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- Honey Jalapeno Dressing, for serving
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and heat. Sprinkle shrimp with blackening seasoning. Saute until fully cooked, 3-4 minutes or until opaque.
- To assemble the salad fill two bowls with mixed greens. Top with cooked shrimp, black beans, pico de gallo, corn and avocado.
- Serve immediately with a drizzle of sour cream, ranch or my Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing.