This easy 7 layer dip is packed full of mouthwatering Mexican flavors! Complete with fresh guacamole and vegetables, serve this easy recipe with homemade tortilla chips for the perfect appetizer at your next party or game day.
Mexican-Style 7-Layer Dip
This Easy 7 Layer Dip is always my go to appetizer to bring to parties, get togethers, or game days. It’s super easy to make, travels well, and everyone loves it!
Packed with your favorite Mexican ingredients, this dip starts with refried beans mixed with taco seasoning and is then layered with guacamole, sour cream, cheddar cheese, black olives, tomatoes and green onions. Trust me when I tell you to buy solid, sturdy tortilla chips to scoop all of the delicious goodness.
The great part about this dip is that it can be as store-bought or homemade as you prefer. Most of the ingredients can be found in your pantry or any grocery store isle, but you can also make your own fresh guacamole and homemade tortilla chips to customize your recipe even more.
Either way, this easy 7-layer dip is a guaranteed crowd pleaser and instant family favorite!
- Refried beans: Use store bought or try my homemade Refried Black Bean Recipe.
- Taco Seasoning: You can make your own taco seasoning at home or use a pre-made packet.
- Sour Cream: For a lower calorie version, substitute half of the sour cream for greek yogurt.
- Guacamole: My Spicy Chipotle Guacamole or Healthy Greek Yogurt Guacamole are both great options!
- Salsa: Jarred or fresh salad work — I love making fresh Pico De Gallo and adding it to the dip.
- Lettuce: I like to use shredded romaine lettuce, but butter lettuce or iceberg would also work.
- Mexican Cheese: I like to use a blend of shredded Mexican Cheese, but shredded sharp cheddar or Monterey jack would be amazing as well!
- Black Olives: If you don’t like olives, swap them out with pickled jalapeños or fresh cilantro.
- Tomatoes: I prefer to use Roma or grape tomatoes in this recipe.
- Green Onions: Adds the perfect touch of color!
- Red Onions: If the taste of raw red onion is too strong for you, soak the onion in water for 30 minutes to help soften the flavors.
How to make this easy 7-layer dip
- Combine beans and seasoning: First, start by combining refried beans and taco seasoning in a small bowl. Sometimes, I like to add in some drained and rinsed black beans, as well! When your ingredients are well mixed together, spread it into a 13 x 9 pan.
- Layer ingredients and toppings: Next, you will create the layers of your easy 7-layer dip! Begin with the sour cream and guacamole, then add layers of salsa, shredded lettuce, Mexican cheese, olives, tomatoes, green onions and red onions.
- Store or serve: Finally, it’s time to enjoy your delicious dip! Serve with tortilla chips or veggies for dipping, or if you’re not eating it right away, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Tips for making the perfect 7-layer dip
- Make your own tortilla chips. If you have the time, I would definitely recommend making your own homemade tortilla chips. They taste amazing and are a little thicker than your general store-bought brand, which makes them perfect for loading up with all 7 layers of your Mexican dip. Plus, my tortilla chips recipe will only add 3 ingredients and 30 minutes to your kitchen time — totally worth it!
- Add some seasoned ground beef. Some prefer to add seasoned ground beef with the beans for the base layer of the dip. Although this step is not required, it definitely adds extra flavors and can be an easy, more subtle way to add some heat to the recipe.
- Add even more toppings! You do you — if 7 layers are not enough, pile on your favorite toppings to your heart’s desire. So many flavor combinations taste amazing together. On a few occasions, I’ve added pickled red onions, fresh or pickled jalapeños, fresh cilantro, queso and salsa verde to my 7+ layer dip!
I like to preserve the layers of this easy 7-layer dip, so I usually just cover the dish with plastic wrap then put my leftovers in the fridge. You can also store the dip in an airtight container. Either way, your Mexican dip should last for up to 5 days! Keep in mind that your guacamole will begin to brown, but if it’s fully covered by the other ingredients, like sour cream, it will stay greener longer.
Here are more easy Mexican recipes to try!
- Mexican Pasta Salad
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- One Pan Mexican Chicken and Rice Bake
- Mexican Kale Salad
- Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers
- Easy 20-Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup
Easy 7 Layer Dip
Complete with fresh guacamole and vegetables, this easy 7-layer dip with tortilla chips is the perfect appetizer for parties or game day.
- 16 ounce can refried beans
- 1 1 1/4 ounce package taco seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup lettuce
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 2 tablespoons green onions sliced
- 2 tablespoons red onions diced
- In a small bowl combine refried beans and taco seasoning. Spread the mixture into a 13 x 9 pan.
- Next layer sour cream, guacamole, salsa, lettuce, cheese, olives, tomatoes, green onions and red onions.
- Serve with tortilla chips or veggies for dipping.