This hummus recipe will have you convinced you’re eating your favorite store-bought brand! Ready in just 10 minutes with only a few simple ingredients, enjoy this delicious and creamy homemade hummus with your favorite veggies or pita bread for a quick, easy and healthy snack.
Looking for more healthy snack recipes? Try my Black Bean Corn Salsa, Easy Bruschetta or my Healthy Greek Yogurt Guacamole!
The best homemade hummus recipe
Made with chickpeas, tahini, roasted garlic and oil, this quick, easy and absolutely delicious homemade hummus recipe is just as good (if not better) than your favorite store-bought brand! Serve with veggies and pita for a healthy snack or appetizer, or add a bit of your hummus to your favorite dinner recipes for an extra flare.
I kept things simple with this classic hummus recipe, but you can always experiment with different flavors and ingredients! Try adding flavored oils and extra spices for a more robust flavor profile. Whether you stick with the classic or create a new, fun recipe of your own, you can’t go wrong with a platter of this healthy dip.
- Chickpeas: You simply can’t have hummus without chickpeas! Well, technically you can — if needed, feel free to substitute white or lima beans for chickpeas as needed. However, I definitely recommend using chickpeas if possible.
- Tahini: A key ingredient to most hummus recipes, tahini sauce helps your hummus become a perfect, smooth texture while also adding extra richness to the dip. Tahini is made up of ground up sesame seeds and adds a nuttiness to the hummus.
- Roasted garlic: Another classic hummus ingredient, roasted garlic is one of those spices that you really just can’t do without! That being said, feel free to adjust the amount added based on your own taste preferences. I have found the easiest way to roast garlic is in the air fryer! It takes the least amount of effort and time. If you don’t have time for roasted garlic feel free to simply substitute one clove of fresh raw garlic instead.
- Other ingredients: In addition to these three key ingredients, you will also need a lemon, some olive oil, and a bit of water for this homemade hummus recipe.
How to make this hummus recipe
- Blend ingredients: First, add all of the hummus recipe ingredients to a food processor, except for the water. Then, pulse to combine until the mixture is smooth, creamy and lump free.
- Check consistency: Next, add a little bit of water as needed to thin out the hummus. Add water until you have reached your desired consistency.
- Serve and enjoy: Finally, serve your homemade hummus recipe immediately with warm pita bread, spicy pita chips and your favorite veggies for dipping!
Tips for making the perfect hummus recipe
- Healthy snacks: To be honest, I probably reach for a hummus and veggie snack a few times a week. I love to pair this healthy dip with carrots, broccoli and red peppers, just to name a few. And don’t forget the bread! You can never go wrong serving hummus alongside fresh naan, pita bread or spicy pita chips.
- Festive with dinner: Hummus is so much more than just a vegetarian dip or appetizer. I love to add it to my gyros, naan sandwiches, chicken shawarma and more. The creamy texture makes it such a great addition to so many recipes, and the flavor is easy to customize! Try these tasty Greek Hummus Phyllo Bites and serve them as a delicious appetizer for your next special family dinner.
- So many flavors: This hummus recipe can be as simple or as complex as you make it. Keep things traditional with tahini sauce and olive oil, or get a little bit adventurous and try experimenting with different flavors. You can try substituting peanut butter, Greek yogurt or sunflower seed butter for tahini, and you can try adding in different spices and veggies, as well.
Store your hummus in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy all week long! You can expect your homemade hummus recipe to keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Make a large batch of hummus, put a little bit in the fridge, then freeze the rest for later. Hummus will last in the freezer for 3-4 months when properly stored. If freezing, be sure not to completely fill up your container, as the hummus will expand when it freezes. You can also add a layer of olive oil on the top of the hummus inside the container — this will act as a seal and add a layer protecting the hummus from moisture or freezer burn.
Here are more quick and easy snack recipes to try!
- Spicy Chipotle Guacamole
- Homemade Pretzel Bites
- Spicy Almonds with Chili Powder
- Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Mediterranean Salsa
- Whole Wheat Pizza
The Best Hummus Recipe
Ready in just 10 minutes, enjoy this creamy homemade hummus recipe with your favorite veggies or pita bread for a quick and healthy snack.
- 2 15½ ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup tahini
- 1 head roasted garlic, you can also substitute 1 clove fresh garlic
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- water as needed, I used about ⅓ cup
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor except for the water. Pulse until smooth, creamy and lump free.
- Add water as needed to thin out the hummus to your desired consistency.
- Serve immediately with pita chips and veggies for dipping and enjoy!