Want to take your hummus up a notch?! Then make my Roasted Garlic Hummus! Perfectly garlicky, creamy and smooth. Serve as a snack or appetizer with pita and veggies for dipping!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Roasted Garlic Hummus
If you want to take your traditional hummus recipe up a notch then you need to try adding roasted garlic!! It adds so much flavor and almost a sweetness to the hummus. I prefer using roasted garlic over raw garlic cloves in my hummus. The raw garlic can be too intense and can overpower the other flavors.
I like to serve my roasted garlic hummus as a snack or appetizer with veggies and toasted pita chips! My kids love hummus so we make it often for them as a healthy snack!
- Chickpeas: You simply can’t have hummus without chickpeas! Well, technically you can — if needed, feel free to substitute white or lima beans for chickpeas as needed. However, I definitely recommend using chickpeas if possible.
- Tahini: A key ingredient to most hummus recipes, tahini sauce helps your hummus become a perfect, smooth texture while also adding extra richness to the dip. Tahini is made up of ground up sesame seeds and adds a nuttiness to the hummus.
- Roasted garlic: Another classic hummus ingredient, roasted garlic is one of those spices that you really just can’t do without! That being said, feel free to adjust the amount added based on your own taste preferences. I have found the easiest way to roast garlic is in the air fryer! It takes the least amount of effort and time. If you don’t have time for roasted garlic feel free to simply substitute one clove of fresh raw garlic instead.
- Other ingredients: In addition to these three key ingredients, you will also need a lemon, some olive oil, and a bit of water for this homemade hummus recipe.
how to make homemade roasted hummus
- Blend ingredients: First, add all of the hummus recipe ingredients to a food processor, except for the water. Then, pulse to combine until the mixture is smooth, creamy and lump free.
- Check consistency: Next, add a little bit of water as needed to thin out the hummus. Add water until you have reached your desired consistency.
- Serve and enjoy: Finally, serve your homemade hummus recipe immediately with warm pita bread, spicy pita chips and your favorite veggies for dipping!
tips for making the best hummus
- Healthy snacks: To be honest, I probably reach for a hummus and veggie snack a few times a week. I love to pair this healthy dip with carrots, broccoli and red peppers, just to name a few. And don’t forget the bread! You can never go wrong serving hummus alongside fresh naan, pita bread or spicy pita chips.
- Festive with dinner: Hummus is so much more than just a vegetarian dip or appetizer. I love to add it to my gyros, naan sandwiches, chicken shawarma and more. The creamy texture makes it such a great addition to so many recipes, and the flavor is easy to customize! Try these tasty Greek Hummus Phyllo Bites and serve them as a delicious appetizer for your next special family dinner.
- So many flavors: This hummus recipe can be as simple or as complex as you make it. Keep things traditional with tahini sauce and olive oil, or get a little bit adventurous and try experimenting with different flavors. You can try substituting peanut butter, Greek yogurt or sunflower seed butter for tahini, and you can try adding in different spices and veggies, as well.
what to serve with roasted garlic hummus
Store your roasted garlic hummus in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy all week long! You can expect your homemade hummus recipe to keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Make a large batch of hummus, put a little bit in the fridge, then freeze the rest for later. Hummus will last in the freezer for 3-4 months when properly stored. If freezing, be sure not to completely fill up your container, as the hummus will expand when it freezes. You can also add a layer of olive oil on the top of the hummus inside the container — this will act as a seal and add a layer protecting the hummus from moisture or freezer burn.
Here are more quick and easy snack recipes to try!
- Spicy Chipotle Guacamole
- Homemade Pretzel Bites
- Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Mediterranean Salsa
- Air Fryer Chickpeas
The Best Hummus Recipe
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor except for the water. Pulse until smooth, creamy and lump free.
- Add water as needed to thin out the hummus to your desired consistency.
- Serve immediately with pita chips and veggies for dipping and enjoy!