Learn how to make this easy bruschetta recipe at home! It’s super fresh, light, and makes the perfect appetizer or side dish. A great way to use up what’s left of your summer garden tomatoes!
What is Bruschetta?
Bruschetta is a classic Italian appetizer comprised of bread being grilled or toasted, then rubbed with fresh garlic cloves. To many people’s surprise, bruschetta actually refers to the preparation of the bread and not the tomato mixture.
Typically you think of bruschetta as being topped with tomato, garlic and basil, but Bruschetta can be made with meats, cheese, vegetables, or even beans!
For the toast in this easy bruschetta recipe, you’ll need: a fresh white baguette, extra-virgin olive oil (for toasting), and fresh garlic cloves (to rub on the toasted bread; not minced garlic).
For the tomato topping, you’ll need: six or seven medium-sized tomatoes (I like using plum, roma or beefsteak), diced red onion, minced garlic, extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil (chopped fine or sliced into thin, shirt ribbons), salt, and black pepper.
How To Make Bruschetta
- Make the tomato mixture: Start by combining tomatoes, red onion, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and fresh basil in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Toast bread: Slice bread into 1/2 inch pieces. Place baguette slices on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Broil until crispy and lightly toasted.
- Rub with garlic: When the baguette comes out of the oven rub each slice with the raw garlic clove. (This adds so much flavor!)
- Serve: Top each baguette slice with tomato mixture and serve immediately! (The longer the bread sits the soggier it will get.)
Tips for Success
- I find the longer the tomato mixture sits, the better it tastes. I like to place it in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving or even better make it the day before! Just make sure to wait to toast the baguette just before serving.
- I prefer to use plum, Roma, or beefsteak tomatoes in this easy bruschetta recipe.
- If you have leftover bruschetta try using it on top of grilled chicken or fish!
- This is also delicious with a drizzle of balsamic glaze on top.
- The BEST Chicken Parmesan
- Slow Cooker Italian Meatballs
- Italian Ham and White Bean Orzo Soup
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
- Easy Italian Nachos
Storage and Reheating Tips
- Store the bruschetta toast in an airtight container or plastic bag at room temperature for up to 5 days, and store the tomato topping in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Reheat the bread in the oven or in a skillet until warmed through and crispy.
More Easy Appetizer Recipes To Try
- Homemade Pretzel Bites
- Easy BLT Dip
- Ham and Cheese Pinwheels
- Super Easy Salsa Verde
- Healthy Greek Yogurt Guacamole
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a review! This helps other readers and my website! I love to hear your feedback!
Learn how to make this Easy Bruschetta at home! It's super fresh, light and makes the perfect appetizer or side dish!
- 6 - 7 tomatoes (I like using plum, roma or beefsteak tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 baguette, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- olive oil, for toasting
- 1 clove garlic for rubbing on baguette
- Combine tomatoes, red onion, garlic, oil, vinegar and basil in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Place baguette slices on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Broil until crispy and lightly toasted. When the baguette comes out of the oven rub each slice with the raw garlic clove.
- Top each baguette slice with tomato mixture and serve immediately.