Learn how to make this Easy Bruschetta at home! It’s super fresh, light and makes the perfect appetizer or side dish!
This is my favorite way to use up tomatoes during the Summer! It makes the perfect appetizer or side dish and is perfect to bring to parties or barbecues.
What is Bruschetta?
Bruschetta is a classic Italian appetizer comprised of bread being grilled or toasted then rubbed with fresh garlic cloves! Bruschetta refers to the preparation of the bread not the tomato mixture. Typically you think of Bruschetta as being topped with tomato, garlic and basil but Bruschetta can be made with meats, cheese, vegetables or beans!
How to make Bruschetta
- Make the tomato mixture: Start by combining tomatoes, red onion, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and fresh basil in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Toast bread: Slice bread into 1/2 inch pieces. Place baguette slices on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Broil until crispy and lightly toasted.
- Rub with garlic: When the baguette comes out of the oven rub each slice with the raw garlic clove. (This adds so much flavor!)
- Serve: Top each baguette slice with tomato mixture and serve immediately! (The longer the bread sits the soggier it will get.)
Tips for making this recipe
- I find the longer the tomato mixture sits the better it tastes. I like to place it in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving or even better make it the day before! Just make sure to wait to toast the baguette just before serving.
- I prefer to use plum, roma or beefsteak tomatoes in this recipe.
- If you have leftover bruschetta try using it on top of grilled chicken or fish!
- This is also delicious with a drizzle of balsamic glaze on top.
What to serve with this Bruschetta Recipe
- The BEST Chicken Parmesan
- Slow Cooker Italian Meatballs
- Italian Ham and White Bean Orzo Soup
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
- Easy Italian Nachos
Learn how to make this Easy Bruschetta at home! It's super fresh, light and makes the perfect appetizer or side dish!
- 6 - 7 tomatoes (I like using plum, roma or beefsteak tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 baguette, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- olive oil, for toasting
- 1 clove garlic for rubbing on baguette
Combine tomatoes, red onion, garlic, oil, vinegar and basil in a medium bowl, set aside.
Place baguette slices on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Broil until crispy and lightly toasted. When the baguette comes out of the oven rub each slice with the raw garlic clove.
Top each baguette slice with tomato mixture and serve immediately.