Learn how to make this easy bruschetta recipe at home! It’s super fresh, light, and makes the perfect appetizer or side dish. A great way to use up fresh summer tomatoes!
If you love delicious and easy appetizer recipes, then you should try my Homemade Pretzel Bites and my Easy BLT Dip!
When I think of Bruschetta I think of summer! Fresh vine ripened tomatoes, crunchy bread and ton’s of garlic. This is what I think of when I think of an easy bruschetta recipe.
We love serving this bruschetta as an appetizer for summer barbecues and parties. We either serve it on the toasted baguette or sometimes in a bowl alongside the bread. Either way this bruschetta will be a crowd favorite at your next get together!
What is Bruschetta?
Bruschetta is a classic Italian appetizer comprised of bread being grilled or toasted, then rubbed with fresh garlic cloves. To many people’s surprise, bruschetta actually refers to the preparation of the bread and not the tomato mixture! The term Bruschetta actually means grilled bread and doesn’t refer to the Italian style salsa. Who knew?!
Typically bruschetta is topped with tomato, garlic and basil, but Bruschetta can be made with meats, cheese, vegetables, or even white beans! Feel free to customize the recipe to your liking!
Ingredients for Simple Bruschetta
- Tomatoes: Plum tomatoes, roma or beef steak all work the best for bruschetta. They have the best texture and flavor!
- Olive Oil: Use good quality extra virgin olive oil. This makes all the difference!
- Garlic: Is minced and added to the tomato mixture as well as rubbed on the toasted baguette! This simple bruschetta is loaded with garlic flavor!
- Fresh Basil: Here’s a tutorial on how to chiffonade basil.
- Red Onion: Adds a nice bite. If the tomato is too strong soak it in some water to muddle the flavor. You can also substitute diced shallots instead.
- Balsamic Vinegar: Adds tang and acidity.
- Bread: I like to use crusty French baguette or any other type of rustic crunchy bread. The key is to have bread that will stand up to the topping and not fall apart or get too soggy too fast.
How To Make Bruschetta
- Make the tomato mixture: Start by combining tomatoes, red onion, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and fresh basil in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Toast bread: Slice bread into 1/2 inch pieces. Place baguette slices on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Broil until crispy and lightly toasted.
- Rub with garlic: When the baguette comes out of the oven rub each slice with the raw garlic clove. (This adds so much flavor!)
- Serve: Top each baguette slice with tomato mixture and serve immediately! (The longer the bread sits the soggier it will get.)
What Bread is best for bruschetta?
I like to use French baguette or any other type of rustic crusty bread when making bruschetta. The key is to have a bread that will stand up to the tomato topping and not fall apart or get too soggy too fast.
Make ahead instructions
This easy bruschetta recipe is super easy to make ahead and holds up really well! Simply mix up the tomato mixture and refrigerate up to a day in advance. You could also toast the baguette and store it in a ziplock bag the day before as well. Serve and enjoy!
Tips for Success
- I find the longer the tomato mixture sits, the better it tastes. I like to place it in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving or even better make it the day before! Just make sure to wait to toast the baguette just before serving.
- If you are serving this as an appetizer for guests serve the bruschetta on the side in a bowl alongside the toasted baguette. This way the baguette will stay crispy throughout the evening!
- I prefer to use plum, Roma, or beefsteak tomatoes in this easy bruschetta recipe. They have more flavor and hold up really well in this bruschetta.
- If you have leftover bruschetta try using it on top of grilled chicken, fish or even on scrambled eggs!
- This is also delicious with a drizzle of balsamic glaze on top.
- If you’re a fan of cheese you can cube some marinated mozzarella and serve with the bruschetta. It won’t be a typical bruschetta but will taste delicious!
What to serve with Bruschetta?
- The BEST Chicken Parmesan
- Slow Cooker Italian Meatballs
- Italian Ham and White Bean Orzo Soup
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
Storage and Reheating Tips
- Store the bruschetta toast in an airtight container or plastic bag at room temperature for up to 5 days, and store the tomato topping in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Reheat the bread in the oven or in a skillet until warmed through and crispy.
More Easy Appetizer Recipes To Try
- Homemade Pretzel Bites
- Easy BLT Dip
- Ham and Cheese Pinwheels
- Super Easy Salsa Verde
- Healthy Greek Yogurt Guacamole
Learn how to make this Easy Bruschetta at home! It's super fresh, light and makes the perfect appetizer or side dish!
- 6 - 7 tomatoes (I like using plum, roma or beefsteak tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 baguette, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- olive oil, for toasting
- 1 clove garlic for rubbing on baguette
- Combine tomatoes, red onion, garlic, oil, vinegar and basil in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Place baguette slices on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Broil until crispy and lightly toasted. When the baguette comes out of the oven rub each slice with the raw garlic clove.Top each baguette slice with tomato mixture and serve immediately.