Summer is the season for crab and I am putting it to good use with my all time favorite appetizer, crab toast. This dish is rich, creamy, and satisfying. Big shoes to fill for an appetizer huh?
I am a huge fan of crabs and am fortunate to live so close to the Maryland Shore where we are able to get fresh caught crabs. I also use the fresh Maryland crab meat to make my crab cakes with lemon aioli. If you are unable to get fresh crab go ahead and use canned or check with the seafood department at your local grocery store to see if they have any other options. They may offer fresh crab meat that is not canned.
And of course you can’t have crab without a bit of old bay. I sprinkle a pinch of old bay in my crab mixture and on top for presentation. Keep in mind this dish can get salty very fast if you start adding in extra salt or seasonings. Make sure to taste test throughout to avoid over or under seasoning.
If you’ve never had Boursin cheese before this is a great excuse to do so. I use this cheese in everything from cream sauces to mashed potatoes or just to spread on top of bread. They come in all different varieties but garlic herb is my favorite!
To make the crab toast start by heating a medium saucepan and add the first 5 ingredients up to the crab meat. On low heat whisk until the sauce is thick and clump free.
Take the sauce off the heat and fold in crab meat making sure not to break up the chunks of crab.
Top each baguette with the crab mixture and shredded cheese. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Top with parsley and diced tomato. You can even make a meal out of the crab toast and serve with a side of mixed greens.
This crab toast appetizer is rich, creamy, and satisfying loaded with fresh chunks of jumbo lump crab meat. Sprinkle with old bay and top with parsley!
- 1 5.2 ounce package Boursin garlic & fine herb cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon tabasco
- Sprinkle of old bay
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab meat
- 1 whole french baguette sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh italian parsley chopped
- 1/2 to mato diced small
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Meanwhile in a medium saucepan add the first 5 ingredients up to the crab meat. On low heat whisk until the sauce is thick and clump free.Take off the heat and fold in crab meat making sure not to break up the chunks of crab. Top sliced baguette with the crab mixture and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. I used about 1 tablespoon of the crab mixture on each slice of bread and about a teaspoon of cheese on each crab toast. Cook for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted and bread is nice and crispy. Sprinkle with parsley and tomatoes and extra old bay if you prefer. Serve immediately. This recipe make about 24 crab toasts.