Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup is loaded with all the classic Mexican flavors that you love! Cooked low and slow for 8 hours, you only need 15 minutes of prep time to make this delicious chicken soup that will have you convinced you’re eating your favorite chicken enchiladas.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Slow cooker chicken enchilada soup
This easy slow cooker chicken enchilada soup has been in my weekly dinner rotation for a while now. It is one of my favorite soups to serve in the winter and freezes very well — great to make-ahead, meal prep, or keep for leftovers. Plus, it really does taste just like a chicken enchilada — but in soup form! It is loaded with all of my favorite Mexican flavors, including cilantro, lime, enchilada sauce, and black beans. It’s slightly spicy and packed full of flavor.
The chicken enchilada soup recipe is actually a cross between my Turkey Tortilla Soup and my Enchilada Casserole. The base of this soup is a blend of enchilada sauce, crushed tomatoes and chicken broth. Black beans, corn, onions and garlic are also added. I featured the same bold flavors but customized the recipe for a slow cooker to make it even easier. All you need is 15 minutes, and then you can let your Crockpot work its magic!
If you like this recipe then make sure to try out my other Slow Cooker Chicken Breast Recipes!
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Garlic cloves
- Enchilada sauce
- Chicken stock
- Black beans
- Fire-roasted tomatoes
- Green chiles
- Ground cumin
- Chili powder
- Chili in adobo sauce only
- Graham masala
- Optional garnishes: Tortilla chips cilantro avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese
How to make chicken enchilada soup in a slow cooker
- Add ingredients to slow cooker: Start by adding all of the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Let soup cook: Cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Shred chicken: Take the chicken out of the slow cooker and shred with two forks, then add the shredded chicken back to the soup and stir well.
- Garnish and serve: Serve this soup warm topped with tortilla chips, cilantro, avocado, sour cream and shredded cheese if desired.
TIP: Cooking the chicken in the soup keeps it super tender and loaded with flavor!
What to serve with chicken enchilada soup
- Rice: This Mexican soup pairs perfectly with my delicious enchilada rice and will give you the same restaurant-flavors that you already love.
- Veggies: I’m always an advocate for adding more vegetables to any dish! This enchilada soup goes great with your favorite fajita veggies, guacamole, or even just sliced avocado.
- Tortillas: Soup and bread are always a perfect combo, but keep your Mexican theme going by using tortilla instead! I also love to garnish the soup with tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips — whatever I have on hand.
Leftovers and storage
This is a perfect freezer-friendly meal. I like to make tons of this soup in the winter and freeze extra for easy lunches and dinner. You can also refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 5 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Here are more delicious soup recipes to try!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Italian Meatball Soup
- Creamy Broccoli Spinach Soup
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, equal to 1 pound
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce
- 1 15 ounce can chicken stock
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can corn, drained
- 1 14 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon chili in adobo, sauce only (can add more if you like extra heat)
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- optional garnishes: tortilla chips, cilantro avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese
- Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker.
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Take the chicken out of the slow cooker and shred with two forks.
- Add back to the soup and stir.
- Serve hot with optional garnishes if desired.