Huevos Rancheros made with Homemade Refried Black Beans AND Homemade Pico de Gallo! These authentic huevos rancheros are loaded with flavor and color. They are the perfect healthy breakfast or brunch!
Huevos Rancheros is one of my favorite things to make for breakfast. It is a super hearty, filling meal that is loaded with flavor. This Huevos Rancheros recipe start off with my Homemade Refried Black Beans. They are then served with a flour tortilla, and a fried egg, and finally topped with my Homemade Pico de Gallo. Delicious!
To make this recipe even easier prep the beans and pico de gallo in advance. If you are in a time crunch canned refried beans or jarred salsa can be used in place of the homemade beans and homemade salsa.
The best thing we love about this huevos rancheros recipe is how versatile it is! We use what we have on hand. Sometimes I serve these with leftover shredded Mexican chicken or beef from the night before. I also like serving it will salsa verde if I have a batch of that made up in the refrigerator.
This easy huevos rancheros recipe makes a quick and easy healthy breakfast or brunch recipe.
What is Huevos Rancheros?
Huevos Rancheros, also known as “Ranchers Eggs”, is a traditional Mexican breakfast that consists of tortillas, fried eggs, and beans. It is a healthy yet filling way to start the day!
What is in Huevos Rancheros
The full ingredient list and measurements are listed in the printable recipe below.
- Flour tortillas: You can also use corn tortillas.
- Eggs: The traditional way is to serve them fried however you can serve them poached, hard-boiled, or scrambled.
- Optional toppings: Below I included my favorite toppings to add!
- Black Beans: I love making my own refried beans at home. They have so much more flavor! I add onions, garlic, cumin, oregano chili powder, and chicken broth. You can substitute canned refried beans or regular black beans instead.
- Pico De Gallo: My pico de gallo recipe has chopped tomato, red onion, jalapeño, line, and cilantro. It’s super easy to make! You can also use your favorite salsa instead.
How to make Huevos Rancheros
- Make the refried black beans: Add olive oil to a medium saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Add in onions and saute until tender and golden brown for 3-4 minutes. Add in garlic and saute for an additional minute. Stir in the spices and allow them to cook for one minute. Add in beans and chicken broth and turn the heat down to low. Simmer until the mixture has thickened a bit, 5-10 minutes. Mash the beans with the back of your spatula or with a potato masher. Make sure to leave some of the beans whole to keep a chunky texture.
- Make homemade pico de gallo: This can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to a week! I like to make a big batch at the beginning of the week and then use it as needed! To make this homemade salsa start by adding tomato, red onion, jalapeno, lime, and cilantro to a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat/fry tortillas: Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat and fry the tortillas one at a time in a dry skillet until golden brown, 1-2 minutes.
- Cook eggs: In a large skillet heat butter over medium-high heat. Fry eggs to desired preference and season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble: Serve fried eggs on top of the fried tortillas with refried black beans and pico de gallo. Top with any additional toppings if desired.
Optional Toppings for Huevos Rancheros
- Salsa verde
- Sliced radish
- Lime wedges
- Sour cream
- Sliced jalapeno
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Cojita cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Hot sauce (this one is our favorite!)
Tips for Success
- Make it all from scratch as written! It is easy to substitute things like salsa and canned refried beans, but making them from scratch instead tastes so much better!
- Go one step further and make your own tortillas as well. Nothing beats fresh bread!
- Serve it with your favorite style of eggs. Scrambled, poached, soft-boiled, hard-boiled, or the traditional fried eggs all taste amazing with huevos rancheros.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What do Huevos Rancheros contain? Huevos rancheros usually has fried eggs, beans, tortillas, and salsa.
- How do you eat Huevos rancheros? I usually eat mine with a fork, however, you could load the tortilla up instead and eat it like an open-faced taco.
- What type of food is huevos rancheros? Huevos rancheros is a traditional Mexican breakfast recipe, however, it’s also great for brunch, lunch, or if you enjoy breakfast for dinner!
Here are more Authentic Mexican recipes to try!
- Shredded Mexican Beef
- Mexican Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers
- Easy Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- Mexican Chicken Rice Bake
- Crispy Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- Easy Spanish Rice
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a review! This helps other readers and my website! I love to hear your feedback!
Huevos Rancheros made with Homemade Refried Black Beans AND Homemade Pico de Gallo! These authentic huevos rancheros are loaded with flavor and color! They are the perfect healthy breakfast or brunch!
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 tbsp butter for frying the eggs
- 4 large eggs
Refried Black Beans
- 15.5 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
Pico De Gallo
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Make the refried beans as directed and keep on low heat until ready to assemble.
- Make the pico de gallo and set aside.
- Heat a small skillet over medium high heat and fry the tortillas one at a time in a dry skillet until golden brown, 1-2 minutes.
- In a large skillet heat butter over medium high heat. Fry eggs to desired preference and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve fried eggs on top of the fried tortillas with refried black beans and pico de gallo. Top with any additional toppings if desired.