The BEST Zucchini Muffins. Loaded with greek yogurt, zucchini and chocolate chips. A great way to use up zucchini from your garden!
This recipe is adapted from my Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread. These muffins are incredibly soft and tender, perfectly spiced and loaded with tons of zucchini. This zucchini muffin recipe can be used for muffins or can be made into loaves! It’s super versatile and can easily be doubled!
To get a perfectly shaped muffin with a domed top the muffins are baked in a 425°F degree oven for 5 minutes then the oven temperature is reduced to 350°F. The muffins continue to bake for another 12-15 minutes. It gives you the perfect bakery style muffin!
Ingredients in zucchini muffins
The full ingredient list and measurements are listed in the printable recipe below.
- Flour: I use all purpose flour however gluten free or whole wheat flour or a mix of the two can be substituted.
- Spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg and salt give the perfect amount of spice to the muffins.
- Zucchini: We use one whole zucchini un-peeled then shredded or grated.
- Chocolate chips: I use semi sweet chocolate chips however dark or milk chocolate could also be used.
- Baking powder and baking soda: I use both baking powder and baking soda as leaveners to help raise the muffins and get that perfect muffin top.
- Egg: Adds structure and moisture to the muffins. I’ve also made this recipe with a flax egg and it works great!
- Canola oil: I add in canola oil for moisture in the muffins. Vegetable oil or coconut oil can be substituted for the canola.
- Greek yogurt: Adds so much moisture to the muffins.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar and light brown sugar are added. You can reduce the amount or replace it with maple syrup or honey to make these zucchini chocolate chip muffins healthier.
How to make The BEST Zucchini Muffins
- Preheat oven: To 425 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray, set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients: In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Combine wet ingredients: In a medium bowl whisk together the egg, oil, both sugars, greek yogurt and vanilla extract until combined.
- Mix: Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold gently. Do not over mix. Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 5 minutes. After that reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue to cook for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean.
- Cool: Next, allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the pan then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store: Cover and store the muffins at room temperature for 3-4 days. These zucchini chocolate chip muffins freeze really well! I love saving the extra and putting it in the freezer for a quick breakfast or snack!
Tips for making these Muffins
- Leave the peel on! The peel has tons of nutrients and fiber. Plus it saves on having to peel the zucchini! Win-win!
- Save time and shred zucchini in the food processor. It is so much easier that grating the zucchini.
- Don’t over mix the batter. Just like cakes and cookies over mixing will lead to a tougher zucchini muffins.
- Add some nuts. Walnuts or chopped pecans would be a great addition to these healthy zucchini muffins and add a nice crunch.
- Zucchini carrot muffins: For a fun twist substitute some of the shredded zucchini for shredded carrot!
- Gluten free zucchini muffins: Omit the all purpose flour and substitute it with gluten free flour.
- Apple zucchini muffins: Add grated apple for extra moisture or just like with the carrot substitute some of the shredded zucchini for shredded apple.
- Healthy zucchini muffins: To make these zucchini muffins even healthier reduce the amount of chocolate chips, substitute the all purpose flour for whole wheat flour and replace the sugar with maple syrup or honey.
Here are more Easy Zucchini recipes to try!
- Healthy Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- The BEST Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Easy Zucchini Brownies
- Gluten Free Zucchini “Pasta”
- Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies
The BEST Zucchini Muffins
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 egg
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup zucchini shredded
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, both sugars, greek yogurt and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold gently. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 5 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees leaving the muffins in the oven. Continue cooking for an additional 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the pan then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.