No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites. Loaded with old fashioned oats, peanut butter, protein powder and flax seed. A healthy on the go protein packed snack!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites
I first posted my 5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Energy Bites two weeks ago and they became an instant hit. I figured I’d give you guys another one of my favorite energy bites to try. This time it is all about the chocolate! These energy bites taste more like dessert than a snack. In fact when I am craving something sweet I reach for one of these.
These energy bites only require a couple of ingredients and best of all take less than 10 minutes to make! A perfect snack or breakfast when you are on the go. Loaded with protein and fiber to keep you full throughout the day. They are a great way to beat the afternoon slump.
For these Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites I used a little less honey than the original version and added water to the mixture to make it easier to roll. If your mixture is not sticking together add a little more water (1/2 tablespoon at a time) until you are able to roll the bites without crumbling.
Here’s what you’ll need to make them:
- Creamy Peanut Butter: You can also use your favorite nut butter as well!
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips: I love using mini chocolate chips if I have them on hand. Dark chocolate chunks are also amazing in this!
- Old Fashioned Oats: I prefer to use old fashioned oats in this recipe. I would not recommend making these with steel cut oats or instant oats.
- Ground Flax Seed: Adds a boost of fiber and nutrients. If you don’t have flax seed on hand substitute hemp seed, chia seed or add extra old fashioned oats.
- Honey: Adds the perfect amount of sweetness to these energy balls. Agave can be used in place of the honey.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder:
- Chocolate Protein Powder: You can also omit and add collagen or hemp seeds, chia seeds or more ground flax seed.
How to make Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites
To make these energy bites simply combine all 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Place in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes so they are easier to roll. Roll into 12 bites and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Tips for making energy bites
- Always try rolling the bites after they have been refrigerated. This makes rolling them so much easier. If you are still having trouble rolling them try wetting your hands or adding 1 or 2 tablespoons of water to the mixture.
- Instead of rolling out into balls the mixture can be placed in a square baking dish lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate and cut to make no bake energy bars!
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Shredded Coconut
- Chopped Nuts
- Hemp Seeds
- Chia Seeds
- Wheat Germ
Here’s where all the energy is coming from:
- Flax seed: 1/2 cup of flax seed provides roughly 15 grams of protein. Flax seed is also loaded with healthy fats, fiber and nutrients.
- Peanut Butter: Filled with healthy fats and fiber. One serving of peanut butter contains 7 grams of protein! Perfect for a quick energy boost and to keep you full throughout the day.
- Old Fashioned Oats: Rich in fiber, protein and nutrients. Old fashioned oats are a great way to sneak in extra nutrients. They are also known to reduce cholesterol.
- Chocolate Protein Powder: Loaded with tons of protein! 1 scoop = 20 grams of protein!
Curb afternoon cravings with these Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites!
Watch how to make these Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bites in the video below:
Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bites
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chocolate protein powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir to combine. If mixture looks too try add a bit more water (1/2 tablespoon at a time).
- Place in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes so they are easier to roll.
- Roll into 8 bites and store in the fridge for up to a week.