INo Bake Almond Joy Energy Bites. Loaded with old fashioned oats, peanut butter, flax seed, coconut and almonds! A healthy protein packed breakfast or snack!
- Almond Joy Energy Bites
- How to make Almond Joy Energy Bites
- Tips for making energy bites
- How to store these Almond Joy Energy Bites
- What can I use instead of flax seed?
- Would Maple syrup work?
- What are the calories per serving?
- What to do if the mixture seems dry?
- Here are more healthy snack recipes to try!
Almond Joy Energy Bites
It’s no secret I love energy bites! I’ve posted recipes for both 5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Energy Bites and my Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites. They are the perfect snack or breakfast on the go. These energy bites are protein packed and perfect for a quick energy boost throughout the day.
I based this recipe off my original energy bites recipe. I replaced some of the oats for unsweetened shredded coconut and swapped some chocolate chips for chopped almonds. Instead of creamy peanut butter I used almond butter!
These energy bites are super easy to throw together. All you need is 10 minutes of prep time and a handful of pantry staples.
- Creamy Peanut Butter: Helps to bind the energy bites together. Almond butter can also be used and would be amazing in this!
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips: I love using mini chocolate chips if I have them on hand. Dark chocolate chunks are also amazing in this!
- Old Fashioned Oats: I prefer to use old fashioned oats or rolled oats in this recipe. I would not recommend making these with steel cut oats or instant oats. If you want to keep these bites gluten free make sure to use certified gluten free oats!
- Ground Flax Seed: Adds a boost of fiber and nutrients. If you don’t have flax seed on hand substitute hemp seed, chia seed or add extra old fashioned oats.
- Honey: Adds the perfect amount of sweetness to these energy balls. Agave or maple syrup can be used in place of the honey.
- Unsweetened shredded coconut: Adds the perfect hint of coconut to these energy bites. You can use sweetened or unsweetened coconut in this recipe!
- Chopped Almonds: Are added for crunch and extra protein!
How to make Almond Joy Energy Bites
To make these peanut butter chocolate chip energy bites simply combine all 7 ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Place in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes so they are easier to roll. Roll them into balls (about 1-2 tablespoon in size) and store in the fridge for up to a week or the freezer for up to 3 months!
Tips for making energy bites
- Always try rolling the bites after they have been refrigerated. This makes rolling them so much easier. If you are still having trouble rolling them try wetting your hands or adding 1 or 2 tablespoons of water to the mixture.
- Instead of rolling out into balls the mixture can be placed in a square baking dish lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate and cut to make no bake energy bars.
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Walnuts or Pecans
- Protein powder
- Cocoa Powder
- Hemp Seeds
- Chia Seeds
How to store these Almond Joy Energy Bites
These energy bites can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or 3 months in the freezer!
What can I use instead of flax seed?
Chia seed or hemp seed are a good alternative to ground flax seed. You can also substitute the flax for more oats or more unsweetened shredded coconut!
Would Maple syrup work?
Yes! Maple syrup can be used in place of the honey!
What are the calories per serving?
This is a question that gets asked a lot. The calories are 200 for 1 serving (1 bite) I know that seems like a lot but the peanut butter in this really adds to the calories. These bites are perfect as a snack or pick me up or a quick breakfast before working out! Some readers have use powdered peanut butter to save on some of the calories.
What to do if the mixture seems dry?
If the mixture seems too dry try adding a splash of water. I do 1 tablespoon at a time. This helps bind everything together. Alternatively you can always add a scoop more of peanut butter, honey or maple syrup to bind everything up!
Here are more healthy snack recipes to try!
- 5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Energy Bites
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
- Coconut Pecan Chocolate Chip Granola
- Copycat Kind Granola Bars
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola
Almond Joy Energy Bites
No Bake Almond Joy Energy Bites. Loaded with old fashioned oats, peanut butter, flax seed, coconut and almonds! A healthy protein packed breakfast or snack!
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter or almond butter
- 3/4 cup old fashioned or rolled oats
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 2 tbsp honey
- Combine all of ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Place in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes so they are easier to roll.
- Roll into 12 bites and store in the fridge for up to a week.