Chocolate Energy Bites
No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites. Loaded with old fashioned oats, peanut butter, cocoa powder, protein powder and flax seed. These chocolate energy bites are a healthy on the go protein packed snack!
Looking for more energy bite recipes? Try my Almond Joy Energy Bites or my Original Peanut Butter Energy Balls!
Chocolate Energy Bites
I have been on an energy bite kick ever since I made my Peanut Butter Energy Bites years ago. They have become my go to weekly snack to prep on Sunday and keep in the fridge for the week. They are easy to through together, are healthy and have peanut butter AND chocolate in them. What’s not to love?!
These chocolate energy bites taste more like dessert than a snack making them a hit with kids. They are fudgey, rich with the perfect amount of sweetness. They always satisfy my sweet tooth when I am craving something sweet.
These energy bites also known as “lactation bites” are perfect for new moms. They make a great grab and go snack and are loaded with oats and protein to keep you full and give you a burst of energy. I always had a batch of energy balls when I was nursing. These also makes a great gift to bring over to new moms!
All you need is 10 minutes and 7 ingredients to make these chocolate energy bites!
Here’s where all the energy is coming from:
- Flax seed: 1/2 cup of flax seed provides roughly 15 grams of protein. Flax seed is also loaded with healthy fats, fiber and nutrients.
- Peanut Butter: Filled with healthy fats and fiber. One serving of peanut butter contains 7 grams of protein! Perfect for a quick energy boost and to keep you full throughout the day.
- Old Fashioned Oats: Rich in fiber, protein and nutrients. Old fashioned oats are a great way to sneak in extra nutrients. They are also known to reduce cholesterol.
- Chocolate Protein Powder: Loaded with tons of protein! 1 scoop = 20 grams of protein!
Ingredients for Chocolate Energy Bites
- Creamy Peanut Butter: You can also use your favorite nut butter as well! You could also substitute crunchy peanut butter for an added crunch!
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips: I love using mini chocolate chips if I have them on hand. Dark chocolate chunks are also amazing in this!
- Old Fashioned Oats: I prefer to use old fashioned oats in this recipe. I would not recommend making these with steel cut oats or instant oats.
- Ground Flax Seed: Adds a boost of fiber and nutrients. If you don’t have flax seed on hand substitute hemp seed, chia seed or add extra old fashioned oats.
- Honey: Adds the perfect amount of sweetness to these energy balls. Agave can be used in place of the honey.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: Gives these chocolate energy bites all of their chocolate flavor! I like to use good quality dutch process cocoa powder. This one is our favorite!
- Chocolate Protein Powder: You can also omit and add collagen or hemp seeds, chia seeds or more ground flax seed.
If you love this recipe than you will love my Homemade Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars!
How to make Chocolate Energy Bites
To make these chocolate energy balls simply combine peanut butter, cocoa powder, honey, oats, chocolate protein powder, chocolate chips, flax seed and water in a medium bowl. Stir to combine.
Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes so they are easier to roll. Roll into 12 bites and store in the fridge for up to a week. If the energy bites are crumbling when you roll them wet your hands. This makes rolling easier!
Tips for making No bake energy balls
- Always try rolling the chocolate energy bites AFTER they have been refrigerated. This makes rolling them so much easier. If you are still having trouble rolling them try wetting your hands or adding 1 or 2 additional tablespoons of water to the mixture.
- Instead of rolling out into balls the mixture can be placed in a square baking dish lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate and cut to make no bake energy bars!
- If you do not have chocolate protein powder just use more unsweetened cocoa powder. You could also substitute the protein powder for hemp seed, chia seed or more flax seed!
- For extra flavor add a splash or two of vanilla extract!
- A pinch of salt really brings out the flavors of chocolate in these chocolate energy balls.
- Roll the outside of the energy bites in crushed up nuts or shredded coconut for an added crunch!
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- White Chocolate Chips
- Peanut Butter Chips
- Shredded Coconut
- Chopped Nuts
- Hemp Seeds
- Chia Seeds
- Wheat Germ
Frequently asked questions
How long do these last?
Energy bites will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks! You can freeze them in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
How can I lower the calories?
I have had some users comment on the calories in these bites. Most of the calories come from the peanut butter in this recipe. I have had readers replace some of the peanut butter with powdered peanut butter mixed with water to save on some calories.
You could also make the chocolate energy bites smaller and get 12 bites instead of 8 lessening the calories per serving.
More Easy Healthy breakfast recipes to try!
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
- Coconut Pecan Chocolate Chip Granola
- Copycat Kind Granola Bars
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola
- Flourless Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bites
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp chocolate protein powder
- 3 tbsp water
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir to combine. If mixture looks too try add a bit more water (1/2 tablespoon at a time).
- Place in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes so they are easier to roll. Roll into 8 bites and store in the fridge for up to a week.