Quick and Easy Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies. These cookies are super thick, melt in your mouth and can be made in 20 minutes or less!
Love cookies as much as I do? Then give my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Mug Cookie a try!
Peanut Butter Cookies
This Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe is my go to cookie to make during the holidays. It’s super easy to make, I always have all of the ingredients on hand and it’s always a crowd favorite! These are the Best Peanut Butter Cookies you will ever have.
They remind me of a cross between a sugar cookie and a peanut butter cookie. They still get crisp along the edges but are perfectly soft and chewy in the center. After I portion out the cookie dough the cookies are then rolled in granulated sugar then pressed down with a fork for the criss cross pattern.
Best of all these easy peanut butter cookies can be made in less than 20 minutes! If you are a fan of peanut butter like myself you will love these cookies. Here’s what you’ll need to make this peanut butter cookie recipe:
- Butter: I use 1 whole stick of unsalted butter in these cookies.
- Brown Sugar and Granulated Sugar: I replaced some of the granulated sugar with light brown sugar to get a chewier cookie. I also love the flavor the brown sugar adds.
- Creamy Peanut Butter: I recommend using regular peanut butter. I have not tried this recipe with any other nut butters.
- Egg + Vanilla: 1 large egg is added to create a chewier cookie.
- Flour: I use all purpose flour in these cookies.
- Baking Soda: Adds the perfect lift to the brownies and keeps them from being too flat and crispy.
- Salt: You can omit the salt if you are using salted butter.
- Extra Granulated Sugar: For rolling
How to make Peanut Butter Cookies
- Preheat oven: To 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Make cookie dough: In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in peanut butter and mix for 1-2 minutes. Add in egg and vanilla. Mix until combined and clump free. Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a small bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the batter in two parts with the stand mixer on the lowest speed. Mix for a little less than a minute. Do not over mix.
- Roll in sugar: Scoop out 16 cookies. Add granulated sugar to a small bowl. Roll each cookie in the sugar and place on a silicone baking mat on top of a baking sheet.
- Bake: Cookies for 10 minutes until lightly golden brown and firm on the edges.
- Cool: Remove from the oven and let set for 3-4 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store: Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days (if they last that long). You can always freeze the cookies for up to 3-4 months.
Tips for making The Best Peanut Butter Cookies
- Light Brown Sugar: I also substitute the granulated sugar with light brown sugar. This produces a chewier cookie with lots of flavor.
- Room temperature Ingredients: I also like to wait until the butter is completely softened and the egg is at room temperature before mixing everything up. This ensures a smooth batter and an awesome cookie!
- Shorter cooking time: I always like to slightly under bake my cookies. Once they look set around the edges I take them out of the oven and let them continue to cook for 5 minutes longer on the baking sheet. Then I transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely. This gives you a soft and chewy cookie!
- Overnight Chill: These cookies can be made a day or two in advance. The longer the cookie dough sits the more the flavors develop.
- Add some semi sweet or dark chocolate chips for peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.
- Add peanut butter chips to the batter.
- Dip cooled peanut butter cookies in melted chocolate and sprinkle with sea salt or crushed nuts for Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies.
- These cookies make a great base for ice cream sandwiches.
- Add your favorite preserves and peanut butter buttercream to make my Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies!
Here are more delicious cookie recipes to try!
- Chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chewy Monster M & M Cookies
- Brown Butter Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add in peanut butter and mix for 1-2 minutes. Add in egg and vanilla. Mix until combined and clump free.
- Add in flour, salt and baking soda and mix just until combined. Make sure not to overmix.
- Scoop out dough and portion into 16 cookie dough balls. Add sugar to a small bowl and roll each cookie in the sugar and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Using a fork flatten cookies slightly then turn and do the opposite direction to get a crisscross pattern.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes until lightly golden brown and firm on the edges. Remove from the oven and let set for 3-4 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days (if they last that long). You can always freeze the cookies for up to 3-4 months.