Super soft and tender Chocolate Chip Muffins. Loaded with semi sweet chocolate chips. Perfect for breakfast or as a snack!
There is nothing better than a breakfast that tastes like dessert. These Easy Chocolate Chip Muffins are super rich, fluffy, moist and loaded with chocolate chips. These muffins remind me of bakery style muffins because of their domed top, crispy edges and tender center.
How to make chocolate chip muffins
These muffins are super easy to make. I start by browning my butter then allowing it to cool completely while I get the rest of the ingredients together. Next I combine the cooled browned butter with eggs, buttermilk, both sugars and vanilla. Next I combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Do not over mix. Divide the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tin and bake! Allow them to cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes then remove them from the muffin tin onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Whats in these bakery style chocolate chip muffins
- Browned butter (Yum!)
- Light brown sugar + granulated sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
Why I use brown butter in these muffins
The melted butter adds extra chewiness and the extra step of browning adds a nice toffee flavor. Simply heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook for about 5-7 minutes swirling the pan occasionally. I recommend using a lighter colored saucepan when browning butter. It makes it easier to tell when the butter has browned.
Tips for making the best chocolate chip muffin recipe
- Start with room temperature ingredients. I always bring my buttermilk and eggs to room temperature this creates a smoother batter resulting in a lighter tender muffin.
- Do not over mix the batter. The more you mix the chewier the muffin with become.
How to get tall muffin tops
I start by baking the muffins first at a higher temperature (425°F) for only 5 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to (375°F) and continue to bake for another 12-15 minutes. This helps the muffins bake higher and gives them a domed top just like from the bakery!
Love this recipe! Here are more homemade muffin recipes to try!
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Flourless Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- The BEST Zucchini Muffins
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Blueberry Muffins
Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a muffin tin with non stick cooking spray.
- Add butter to a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat. Cook butter stirring continuously until it turns golden brown and smells nutty. This takes about 5-7 minutes. Allow the butter to cool completely.
- Once cooled add the butter to a medium bowl along with both sugars, eggs, milk and vanilla, set aside.
- In a large bowl toss together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tin. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out moslty clean. (I like to slightly under bake my muffins to keep them moist)
- Allow them to cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes then remove them from the muffin tin onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Adapted from Little Sweet Baker