Double Chocolate Loaf Cake loaded with chocolate chunks then topped with a creamy chocolate ganache icing!
Nothing beats a slice of chocolate cake. This chocolate loaf cake is one of my favorite desserts! Perfectly moist, dense and super rich with a nice thick topping of chocolate ganache.
To achieve the dense, soft texture I added in sour cream and substituted some of the granulated sugar for brown sugar.
For an ultra soft and moist cake I always bring the eggs, sour cream and butter to room temperature. I also add in hot coffee which amplifies the chocolate flavor and adds a nice silkiness to the batter. After I add the hot coffee I turn the mixer to the highest speed and whip the batter for a minute. This helps to get any last clumps as well as adds air to the batter.
After the cake cools I spread a generous layer of chocolate ganache on top. For the chocolate ganache I whisked together powdered sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, vanilla and milk.
Once the chocolate ganache has set slice and enjoy!
Double Chocolate Loaf Cake
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sour cream room temperature
- 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup hot coffee or hot water
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9 x 5 pan with cooking spray.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream butter and both sugars until combined and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add in eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl between each addition.
- Next add in vanilla and sour cream and mix until incorporated.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda and cocoa powder.
- In two additions add the dry ingredients to the stand mixer and mix just until combined (do not over mix)
- Add the hot coffee or hot water to the stand mixer and beat on high for 1 minute.
- Fold in chocolate chips by hand and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out mostly clean (a few crumbs is fine)
- Place the cake on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cool run a knife along the sides to remove the cake.
- Pour the ganache on top and wait until ganache has firmed up before slicing. (About an hour)
- Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to combine.