This is the ultimate Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Pound Cake. Super moist, buttery, and tender with the perfect amount of chocolate chips. Perfect for breakfast or dessert!
I’ve always been a huge fan of pound cake and when you add in mini chocolate chips I love it even more! This Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Pound Cake is soft and moist with just a hint of vanilla.
I tried different variations of this pound cake. I found that fewer eggs and sour cream made the best pound cake. It was light, airy, and buttery. Too many eggs made the cake spongy and dense.
One of the biggest tips I have for making a great pound cake is to bring all of your cold ingredients to room temperature. This creates a smoother batter resulting in a lighter tender cake.
Want to save this recipe?
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
- Butter: Nothing beats a rich & butter cake! Butter also adds tons of moisture.
- Sugar: Sugar is added for sweetness. Also, when it is creamed together with the butter it produces air pockets resulting in a lighter crumb.
- Eggs: Eggs bing everything together and add a little height.
- Sour Cream: This brings more moisture and a little tanginess to the chocolate chip pound cake.
- Vanilla: To enhance the sweetness I love to add vanilla to all of my homemade baked goods!
- Baking powder & baking soda: These two key ingredients help the pound cake to rise, making it less dense.
- Chocolate chips: I prefer semi-sweet chocolate chips, however, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or bittersweet are great substitutions.
How to make Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
- Preheat the oven: To 350°F and grease a 9 x 5″ loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cream butter and sugar: In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream butter until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add in sugar and mix for an additional minute. Note: This is super important! The cake will fall if the sugar is not creamed for 2-3 minutes. Creaming the butter and sugar produces air pockets which help the cake to rise. I know it’s such a simple step but this is the difference between the cake rising or not!
- Add in eggs, sour cream & vanilla: One at a time add in eggs and scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula after each addition. Next, add sour cream and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Combine dry ingredients: In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. On low speed add the dry ingredients to the stand mixer and mix just until combined. Do not overmix. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake: Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and the top is set.
- Cool: Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes in the pan before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store: This Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Pound Cake freezes really well. Store it in an airtight freezer bag for up to 2 months!
Tips for making The Best Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
- Don’t over mix the batter. This will lead to a tougher bread.
- Make sure the bread is fully cooked before taking it out of the oven. If the bread is undercooked it will sink in the middle. You can do this by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready!
- Resist the urge to slice into it right away. Let it cool completely before slicing it.
- Make sure to fully cream the butter for 2-3 minutes and the sugar for 1 minute. This helps to create air pockets and helps the loaf to rise. I tested this cake with only creaming the butter and sugar for a minute versus creaming for 3 minutes and it made a world of difference. The first cake fell and the second cake rose!
What is the difference between pound cake and regular cake?
It’s all in the name! Originally pound cake was made by adding a pound each of flour, sugar, eggs, and butter, plus some baking soda and baking powder. Regular cake, on the other hand, has various quantities of these ingredients, depending on the recipe.
What is the secret to good pound cake?
My top tip for making the best chocolate chip pound cake is creaming the butter and sugar together for 3 minutes. They become light and fluffy and add air pockets to the loaf helping it to become light and less dense.
How do I make my pound cake more moist?
By adding an ingredient like yogurt, cream cheese, buttermilk, or sour cream (as I did in this recipe) your pound cake will lock in a ton of moisture while it’s cooking.
Here are more sweet bread recipes to enjoy!
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Cranberry Orange Bread
- The BEST Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bread
- Marble Chocolate Banana Bread
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a review! This helps other readers and my website! I love to hear your feedback!
Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream butter until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. (This is an important step make sure to cream the butter for a full 2-3 minutes or the cake will fall)Add in sugar and mix for an additional minute.
- Add in eggs one at a time and scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Next add in sour cream and vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.On low speed add the dry ingredients to the stand mixer and mix just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour. If the top is getting too brown cover with foil.
- Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes in the pan before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.