Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers. Loaded with either ground beef or turkey, rice, enchilada sauce, black beans, and corn. Healthy, satisfying, and loaded with flavor, these stuffed peppers are cooked until perfectly tender. A filling, hearty, and flavorful meal that’s naturally gluten-free and can easily be made vegetarian or vegan. The best part? It’s so quick and easy to throw together!
There is so much you can do in a slow cooker. From desserts to breakfast, you can basically make anything in a slow cooker. Throw everything together and come home to a warm meal – nothing beats that!
I wanted to make one of my favorite recipes in the slow cooker. I adapted my recipe for Healthy Mexican Quinoa and Turkey Stuffed Peppers and made it slow cooker friendly. This time I used brown rice in place of quinoa and added enchilada sauce for extra flavor and a little kick.
Vegetarian? No problem! To turn this recipe into vegetarian stuffed peppers, just skip the meat and amp up the beans and veggies! You can even try adding a different bean, like chickpeas to change things up a little! To make them vegan stuffed peppers, use vegan cheese instead of dairy.
- Ingredients for the BEST stuffed peppers
- How to make stuffed peppers in the slow cooker
- What kind of rice should I use and can I use another grain?
- What toppings should I serve with Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers?
- How to store and freeze stuffed peppers
- Here are some more quick and easy Mexican recipes to try:
Ingredients for the BEST stuffed peppers
The full ingredient list and measurements are listed in the printable recipe below.
- Bell Peppers: I used red, yellow, and green. Any color of bell pepper will work well – pick your favorite!
- Lean ground meat: You can use either ground beef, pork, chicken or ground turkey depending on what you have on hand. They all would taste great in this!
- Rice: The rice adds some starch and makes the stuffed peppers more filling.
- Black beans: For a little extra protein with a Mexican twist!
- Enchilada Sauce: Either a store-bought enchilada sauce or a homemade sauce. It adds so much flavor to these slow cooker stuffed peppers!
- Spices: Cumin and chili powder give the filling a little kick and flavor.
- Cheese: Shredded Mexican cheese is perfect in this recipe! It really brings all of the ingredients together and makes the peppers more filling.
How to make stuffed peppers in the slow cooker
- Prep the slow cooker and ingredients: Spray the bottom of a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray and then place the peppers inside. Then, in a large bowl combine all of the filling ingredients and place the filling into the cavity of each pepper.
- Cook & serve: Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6 hours or until the meat is cooked through. Serve immediately with some of the optional toppings listed below, if desired. Serve these Mexican stuffed bell peppers with a side salad to make it a full meal!
What kind of rice should I use and can I use another grain?
Precooked white or brown rice is just right for this crockpot stuffed peppers recipe. These Mexican slow cooker stuffed peppers are also great if you have leftover rice you need to use up. Throw in some leftover Spanish rice, white or brown rice. You really can’t go wrong, so toss in what you have on hand.
If you want to use something other than rice, try quinoa or cauliflower rice!
What toppings should I serve with Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers?
There are plenty of options! Here are a few of my go-to’s:
- Cheese (Mexican, cheddar, or queso fresco)
- Sour cream
- Greek yogurt
- Salsa (red or green)
- Enchilada sauce
- Hot sauce
- Pico de Gallo
- Fresh cilantro
- A squeeze of fresh lime
How to store and freeze stuffed peppers
- Store: Leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheat: To heat up the leftovers, simply add the Mexican stuffed peppers to an oven-safe dish and reheat in the oven or microwave until heated through.
- Freezing: Freeze this dinner for up to 3 months in the freezer. When you’re ready to eat it, thaw it completely before heating it up in the oven.
Here are some more quick and easy Mexican recipes to try:
- Instant Pot Chicken Carnitas
- Loaded Mexican Sweet Potatoes
- Refried Black Beans
- Mexican Salmon Salad
- Mexican Chicken Rice Bake
- Slow Cooker Mexican Beef
Need more quick & easy recipes in your life? Subscribe to my weekly newsletter or follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for all the daily updates.
If you try this recipe, I’d love to know! Leave a star rating below, and don’t forget to take pictures and tag me on Facebook and Instagram!
Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers
- 5-6 depending on size tri-color bell peppers, tops cut off and seeds and ribs removed
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey uncooked
- 1 cup rice cooked (mexican, brown rice, or white rice)
- 1 cup canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese plus more for topping, if desired
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream
- shredded mexican cheese
- enchilada sauce
- lime wedges
- Spray the bottom of a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place the peppers inside.
- In a large bowl combine ground beef or turkey, rice, black beans, corn, enchilada sauce, cheese, seasoning and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Place the filling into the cavity of each pepper.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6 hours or until the meat is cooked through.
- Serve immediately with some of the optional toppings, if desired. Goes great with a side salad!
Original recipe from chefsavvy.com. Please do not publish my recipe or pictures without linking back to the original post. Thank you!