Healthy Mexican Quinoa and Turkey Stuffed Peppers. A quick and easy weeknight meal that’s ready in under 35 minutes. Low carb and packed with flavor!
I love replacing pasta or rice with quinoa in some my favorite dishes. It’s loaded with tons of health benefits and is gluten free. Just as easy to prepare as rice but comes with a lot more health benefits. 1 cup of quiona has 8 grams of protein!
To speed up this recipe I used pre-cooked quinoa. I like to make large batches of quinoa at the beginning of the week to toss into salads.
The stuffed peppers are loaded with lean ground turkey, black beans, corn, crushed tomatoes and quinoa. Cumin, cayenne pepper and paprika give the filling a little kick.
Healthy, satisfying and loaded with flavor. The stuffed peppers are cooked in the oven until perfectly tender. A filling, hearty and flavorful meal.
This gluten-free and low carb dish takes 35 minutes to make start to finish. Not to shabby for an easy weeknight dinner.
You could add some Mexican shredded cheese on top if you’d like. I wanted to keep this dish as light as possible so I omitted it.
You can leave your pepper whole or cut in half lengthwise. I find cutting the pepper in half makes for an easier and less messy eat.
I love how colorful these peppers are. Any color or type of pepper will do. I love the presentation of the tri-color peppers.
How to make Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- Start by adding oil to a large skillet. Add in ground turkey and saute until fully cooked, 4-5 minutes. Add in onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Toss in garlic and cook for an additional minute. Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, corn, beans, cumin, chili powder, paprika, pepper and salt. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly thickened. Take off the heat and stir in cooked quinoa, lime juice and cilantro. Stuff peppers with the filling and place in a 9 x 13 pan. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 or until the peppers are tender and the filling is hot. Serve the peppers as is or with a side of enchilada sauce. Before serving top with extra cilantro for garnish if desired.
What to serve with these Stuffed Peppers
- Creamy Confetti Corn
- Enchilada Rice
- Loaded Mexican Sweet Potatoes
- Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
- Mexican Kale Salad
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa
Here are more Healthy Recipes made with Quinoa!
- Chopped Kale Quinoa and Avocado Salad
- Tomato and Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- Greek Kale Quinoa Salad
- Mushroom Shallot Garlic Quinoa
- Healthy Vegetarian Quinoa Chili
- Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Bake
Healthy Turkey and Quinoa Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 3 bell peppers cut in half and seeded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, add oil to a large skillet.
- Add in ground turkey and saute until fully cooked, 4-5 minutes.
- Add in onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Toss in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, corn, beans, cumin, chili powder, paprika, pepper and salt. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Take off the heat and stir in cooked quinoa, lime juice and cilantro.
- Stuff peppers with the filling and place in a 9 x 13 pan. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 20-25 or until the peppers are tender and the filling is hot.
- Serve immediately.