Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Bake. A healthier version of the Broccoli Rice Casserole we all love!
I took one of my favorite casseroles and made it healthier! This Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Bake casserole is still rich and satisfying as the original. I make an easy homemade cheese sauce using milk, stock, cheddar cheese, flour and a little butter. I subsistuted quinoa in place of the rice and skipped canned soup.
For an added crunch I top the casserole with toasted panko breadcrumbs. It makes all the difference!
White the quinoa is cooking I saute the broccoli and make the cheese sauce. When everything is done I toss it all together then layer into a baking dish. I top with the toasted panko breadcrumbs and bake until warmed through and cheesy.
Serve immediately with fresh parsley for serving!
Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Bake
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ⅓ cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet. Add panko and cook stirring constantly until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan heat the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the broccoli and cook until tender, set aside.
- To make the cheese sauce start by melting butter in a medium saucepan. Add in flour and whisk constantly for about 1 minute.
- Slowly add in milk and continue to whisk until thickened slightly, 3-4 minutes.
- Take off of the heat and stir in 1 cup of cheese, sour cream, broccoli and cooked quinoa.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to baking dish and top with the remaining ½ cup of cheese. Cook until cheese has melted, a couple of minutes.
- Top the casserole with the toasted breadcrumbs and serve immediately.