This quick and easy Tomato and Black Bean Quinoa Salad recipe is a light and healthy side dish packed with fresh ingredients like sweet corn, tomatoes, black beans, and red onion. Even better, this dish takes less than 30 minutes to make and is both vegan and gluten-free!
Tomato and Black Bean Quinoa Salad
I have to admit that I’ve fallen in love with quinoa. I recently gave this nutty healthy grain a try and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. Quinoa has definitely been the latest food craze popping up in almost every recipe you see. Casseroles, stuffed peppers, salads, chilis … you name it! Quinoa is a healthy grain rich in protein and fiber. Just as quick to prepare as rice, but it comes with a lot more health benefits and nutrients.
I made this recipe using both red or white quinoa. You can use whichever you prefer. White quinoa and red quinoa are very similar in taste and have the same nutritional value. Some say the red quinoa is a bit chewier than its counterpart.
This is a great dish to make in advance. The longer it sits in the fridge, the more the flavors develop and the better it tastes! Perfect as a side dish or vegetarian-friendly and gluten-free light main course.
You’ll need dry quinoa, corn (fresh or frozen), black beans (rinsed and drained), tomatoes, olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, red onion, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to make this easy Tomato and Black Bean Quinoa Salad.
But feel free to customize as you see fit! Mix in some grilled chicken for added protein, cumin and oregano for more Mexican-inspired flavors, more garden-fresh veggies, or fresh herbs like parsley or mint.
If you have vegetable stock on hand, use it to boil the quinoa with. Non-vegans can use chicken stock to add more flavor.
How To Make Tomato and Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- Start by combining quinoa and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 10-15 minutes until water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, assemble your veggies and remaining ingredients. Add corn, beans, tomatoes, oil, lime, basil and cilantro to a large bowl, and toss to combine.
- Add cooked quinoa, and season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days!
- Add more herbs: Parsley, mint or green onions can be used in place of the cilantro or in addition to!
- Swap out the beans: With either black eyed peas or chickpeas.
- Make it cheesy: Cotija cheese or feta cheese would be amazing in this!
- Add protein! Grilled chicken, shrimp, salmon or steak would be amazing with this salad.
What To Serve with Tomato and Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- Easy Grilled Chicken
- Honey Garlic Salmon
- Grilled Steak Kabobs
- Crispy Oven Fried Chicken Thighs
- Blackened Salmon with Lime Butter Sauce
More Side Dish Recipes To Try
- The BEST Baked Beans
- Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges
- The BEST Cornbread
- Baked Parmesan Potato Wedges
- Grilled Corn and Black Bean Salad with Rice
Tomato and Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup tomatoes diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine quinoa and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 10-15 minutes until water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, add corn, beans, tomatoes, olive oil, lime juice, cilantro and red onion to a large bowl. Add cooked quinoa and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.