This Coconut Curry Salmon is loaded with so much flavor!! This one pan meal is made with fresh ginger, garlic, thai basil, cilantro and lime juice. It is the perfect creamy sauce to serve over seared salmon. Serve with some white rice or naan to soak up all that delicious curry sauce!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
coconut curry salmon
I love salmon and I love vegetable curry so why not combine the two!! This coconut curry salmon is loaded with so. much. flavor!! From the fresh ginger, garlic, curry paste and herbs this salmon curry will not disappoint.
What I love most about this recipe is that your protein, sauce and veggies are all cooked in one pan! All you need is some rice or naan bread on the side to soak up all that delicious curry sauce.
- Neutral Oil: We will start this coconut curry salmon recipe to sear the salmon and get a good crust on it.
- Salmon: You can use fresh or frozen salmon filets. If you are using frozen, make sure to thaw them in the fridge before using. To get a good sear on each of the filets, blot them dry with paper towels before sautéing!
- Veggies: Onions, carrots, bell pepper, garlic and ginger are added for the addition of flavor and loads of aroma!
- Red Curry Paste: Red curry paste can be found in the international section of your local grocery store. It does have a slight kick, which will be toned down a bit by the coconut milk, but you can add just one tablespoon to start and then add more to taste!
- Full Fat Coconut Milk: It is important to use full fat coconut milk here! The full fat coconut milk is usually in a can. Before opening the can, shake it up good because sometimes the liquid and fat will separate in the can.
- Fish Sauce: For a kick of umami flavor, add a few splashes of fish sauce!
- Lime: Lime juice brightens up the coconut curry and tames the spicy curry, too!
- Fresh Cilantro and Basil: Top it off with some fresh herbs like cilantro and basil!
how to make coconut curry salmon
- Sear the Salmon: Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large skillet. Add in salmon and cook for 3-4 minutes a side or until it reaches about 140 degrees. Remove the salmon from the pan and set aside. The salmon will continue to cook as it rests!
- Sauté the Veg: Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add in onion, carrots and bell pepper. Sauté for 4-5 minutes or until the veggies start to soften.
- Add Aromatics: Stir in garlic, ginger and curry paste and continue cooking for one minutes.
- Add Coconut Milk: Add in the coconut milk and a couple dashes of fish sauce. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Add Salmon & Serve: Add the salmon back to the pan and sprinkle with fresh herbs and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Pan-sear the salmon! To get that perfect pan-sear with a golden crust, first blot the fish dry with some paper towels. Then, you have to make sure the pan is nice and hot before adding the salmon. If you are leaving the skin on the salmon, place the salmon skin side down first and be patient before flipping it.
- Add extra veggies! You can totally add a bunch of additional vegetables to this curry if you want. Try adding some broccoli and snow peas!
- Serve coconut curry salmon over a bed of fluffy jasmine or basmati rice or serve on its own with some crusty bread or naan bread!
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I remove the skin from the salmon?
If the you buy fresh salmon that has the skin on it, it is totally up to you if you want to keep the skin on or not! If you keep the skin on, make sure you sear it until golden and crispy. That is the best way to enjoy the skin! You could also cook the salmon with the skin on then remove it before serving.
How should I store leftover coconut curry?
Store any leftover coconut curry salmon in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. To reheat, pop in the microwave until heated through or use a saucepan to heat it through!
products i used
More Healthy Dinner Recipes to tRy
Coconut Curry Salmon
- 2 tbsp neutral cooking oil, divided
- 4 salmon filets
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1-2 tbsp red curry paste
- 14 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- couple dashes fish sauce
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet. Add in salmon and cook for 3-4 minutes a side or until it reaches about 140 degrees. Remove the salmon from the pan and set aside. (The salmon will continue to cook as it rests.)
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet.Add in onion, carrots and bell pepper. Saute for 4-5 minutes or until the veggies start to soften.
- Stir in garlic, ginger and curry paste and continue cooking for one minute.
- Add the salmon back to the pan and sprinkle with fresh herbs and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.Serve immediately and enjoy!