The Best Easy Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake. Super moist coffee cake loaded with blueberries and topped with a thick crumb topping. Perfect for breakfast, snack, or dessert!
I used sour cream instead of buttermilk in this coffee cake. The sour cream makes the coffee cake tender and spongy.
This Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake is a great option to make ahead! I love making a batch for when guests are visiting. It’s perfect with tea or coffee any time. I always double the crumb topping as it’s my favorite part of any coffee cake! Pro tip: add some walnuts or pecans for an extra addictive crunch!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
What you’ll need for this Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake recipe
- Butter: Butter adds richness and moisture. It is essential to the flavor of coffee cake!
- Sugar: I added both white sugar for sweetness as well as light brown sugar for flavor and sweetness.
- Eggs: Eggs bind the ingredients together and also help it rise a little.
- Sour cream: For extra moisture, I mixed in some sour cream. I love the tanginess it adds! Greek yogurt is a good substitute.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla adds warmth and brings out the sweetness a little more.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is the foundation of this cake recipe. You could also use cake flour.
- Baking soda: Baking soda makes the coffee cake light and fluffy, and less dense.
- Blueberries: I like to use fresh blueberries for this blueberry sour cream coffee cake recipe, however, frozen blueberries could work! Thaw them before adding them to the recipe
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon gets added to the crumb topping for spice. It tastes amazing!
How to make Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Cream the butter and sugar: Start by creaming butter and both sugars in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Add wet ingredients: Next, add eggs, sour cream, and vanilla extract.
- Mix dry ingredients: In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt, and set aside.
- Fold together: To the wet mixture, fold in the dry ingredients in two batches. Try not to over mix it will make the coffee cake tough.
- Add blueberries: Fold in blueberries and stir until combined. Pour cake into a greased 13 x 9 pan.
- Crumb topping: For the crumb topping combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter. The mixture will be similar to the consistency of wet sand. Crumble the mixture on top of the cake.
- Bake! Bake at 350 F for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick or knife can be inserted and comes out clean.
- Cool and eat! Let cool for 20 minutes before slicing and serving!
Tips for making Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Do not over-mix the batter. The less you mix the better! This results in a more tender and moist coffee cake.
- When making your crumb topping you can always add in some walnuts or pecans to give the topping a nice crunch.
- If you like a lot of crumb topping (like me) double the crumb topping for a thick layer of crumb!
- Store this Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
What makes coffee cake coffee cake?
Coffee cake (also known as kaffekuchen) is a single-layer cake with a sweet cinnamon flavor and a streusel topping consisting of flour, butter, and sugar. Streusel can also be used as a filling by layering it inside the cake. You can add many different types of fruit if desired, with blueberry being the most frequent, like in this Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Is crumb cake and coffee cake the same?
Although some people mix up crumb cake and coffee cake, there is a significant distinction between the two. Coffee cake is traditionally topped with a layer of crumbly streusel, whereas crumb cake is half crumb and half cake.
What’s the difference between coffee cake and regular cake?
Coffee cakes are distinguished from other cakes by their streusel topping and the fact that, while they may have a glaze drizzled on top, they are not iced with icing.
Here are more delicious breakfast recipes to try!
- Healthy Baked Oatmeal
- French Toast Muffin Cups
- Easy Breakfast Bake
- Blueberry Cream Cheese French Toast Bake
- Homemade Everything Bagels
Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 inch pan with butter. Coat with flour, dusting off the excess.
- Start by creaming butter and both sugars in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Next add in eggs, sour cream, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt, set aside.
- To the wet mixture, fold in the dry ingredients in two batches. Try not to over mix it will make the coffee cake tough.
- Fold in blueberries and stir until combined. Pour cake into the greased pan.
- For the crumb topping combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Mixture will be similar to the consistency of wet sand.Crumble mixture on top of the cake.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a tooth pick or knife can be inserted and comes out clean.