Super soft and chocolatey Brownie Cookies! These brownie cookies are rich, crisp around the edges and super fudgey on the inside! Everything you love about a brownie but in cookie form!
This cookie is the best of both worlds. A soft chewy cookie meets a rich and fudgey brownie all rolled into one. These cookies are chocolatey and rich just like a brownie and soft and crisp around the edges like a cookie. I slightly under baked the cookies to get the soft, chewy center. Melt in your mouth on the inside and firm and slightly crisp on the edges. These taste like you are eating a brownie but in cookie form!
The dough does require some chilling but only takes 20 minutes of prep time to make. This is a great cookie to make during the holidays or just because! Here’s what you’ll need to make these cookies!
Ingredients for Brownie Cookies
- Butter: I use 1 whole stick of unsalted butter in these cookies.
- Unsweetened Chocolate: I recommend using good high quality chocolate. It makes all the difference.
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips: Some are melted into the batter and the rest are folded in at the end. This creates gooey pockets of chocolate in the cookies!
- Eggs: The extra eggs create a chewier cookie similar to a brownie.
- Brown Sugar and Granulated Sugar: I replaced some of the granulated sugar with light brown sugar to get a chewier cookie. I also love the flavor the brown sugar adds.
- All Purpose Flour: I use all purpose flour in these cookies.
- Baking Powder: Adds the perfect lift to the brownies and keeps them from being too flat and crispy.
- Salt: You can omit the salt if you are using salted butter.
Just like my Chocolate Frosted Brownies I tried to use a little flour as possible. This help to achieve a rich, fudgey cookie.
The trick to these cookies is to use good quality chocolate. This will help make the cookies extra rich and decadent. These cookies are made with two types of chocolate: Unsweetened chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Pour yourself a tall glass of milk and enjoy these rich Chocolate Brownie Cookies!
How to make Brownie Cookies
- Preheat Oven: To 350 degrees F.
- Melt Chocolate: Add butter, unsweetened chocolate and 1 cup of the chocolate chips to a double boiler. (A bowl set over a saucepan filled with warm water) Stir until chocolate and butter have melted. This will about 3-4 minutes.
- Make Batter: Meanwhile, add eggs and both sugars to a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whip on high until mixture becomes thick and lighter in color. Slowly add in melted chocolate on low speed until combined. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl. Fold in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients by hand. Fold in the remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate Dough: For 1 hour to firm up. You can even make these a day or two in advance and keep them in the refrigerator.
- Preheat Oven: When you are ready to bake the cookies preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake: Scoop out heaping tablespoons of batter onto a silicon baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. I like to slightly under bake the cookies. They will continue to cook on the sheet pan as they cool.
- Cool: Allow them to cool for 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store: Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days. You can always freeze the cookies for up to 3-4 months.
Tips for making the Best Cookies
- Shorter cooking time: I always like to slightly under bake my cookies. Once they look set around the edges I take them out of the oven and let them continue to cook for 5 minutes longer on the baking sheet. Then I transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely. This gives you a soft and chewy cookie!
- Extra Chocolate Chips: When the cookies come out of the oven I like to place some chocolate chips on top for presentation.
- Overnight Chill: These cookies can be made a day or two in advance. The longer the cookie dough sits the more the flavors develop.
- Chopped walnuts: If you like chopped nuts in your brownies try adding them to these brownie cookies for a nice crunch!
Here are more delicious cookie recipes to try!
- Chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chewy Monster M & M Cookies
- Brown Butter Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add butter, unsweetened chocolate and 1 cup of the chocolate chips to a double boiler. (A bowl set over a saucepan filled with warm water) Stir until chocolate and butter have melted. Takes a couple of minutes. Alternatively melt butter and chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals until melted.
- Meanwhile, add eggs and both sugar to a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whip on high until mixture becomes thick and lighter in color, 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add in melted chocolate on low speed until combined.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.
- Fold in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients by hand. Fold in the remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate dough for an hour to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop out heaping tablespoons of batter onto a silicone baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. (I like to under bake them slightly at 10 minutes)
- Take out of the oven and allow them to cool for a couple of minutes on the sheet tray.
- Move to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Adapted from Epicurious