The BEST Brown Butter Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies. Soft and chewy cookies loaded with chocolate chunks and sprinkled with sea salt!
I think these are the best cookies I’ve made yet! They are super soft, buttery, loaded with chocolate chunks AND sprinkled with sea salt. These cookies are amazing!
This recipe is adapted from my Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie. I made it just like the skillet cookie but portioned it out into cookies and loaded it with chocolate chunks and sea salt.
The cookie turns out firm around the edges and gooey with melted chocolate in the center. The extra step of browning the butter makes these cookies AMAZING!
The melted butter adds extra chewiness and the extra step of browning adds a nice toffee flavor. Using brown sugar in place of some of the granulated sugar also adds tons of flavor to the cookie.
A couple tips for making these cookies:
- Bake one tray at a time so the cookies all bake evenly.
- Let the cookie dough rest for 20-30 minutes to help firm up.
- Don’t over work the dough. Combine the ingredients just until combined.
Brown Butter Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup light or dark brown sugar (make sure the sugar is soft and not hard)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- sea salt for sprinkling on top
- Add 10 tablespoons of butter to a small saucepan. Heat over medium high heat and cook until butter is golden brown and bubbly. Takes about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter to a large bowl. Cut into cubes.
- Add the melted butter to the cubed butter in the bowl and stir until melted.
- Stir in both sugars, eggs and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda and cornstarch.
- Fold in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in two parts until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- I let my cookie dough sit for 20 minutes to firm up a bit.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees while you are waiting for your dough to firm up.
- Divide dough into 18 cookies and place them on a baking sheet lined with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. (They still may look a bit soft in the middle that is fine)
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and serve!
Adapted from Cooks Illustrated