This Creamy Spicy Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese is topped with tangy blue cheese crumbles and fresh parsley. It’s a super cheesy and spicy dish the whole family will love!
Love homemade mac and cheese? Then try my Spicy Pepper Jack Mac and Cheese and my Three Cheese Mac and Cheese With Garlic Panko Breadcrumbs!
Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese
This twist on classic mac and cheese is cheesy, rich, and loaded with flavor. Made with shredded chicken, a creamy cheese sauce, penne pasta, and (of course) buffalo sauce, this is a quick stove top mac and cheese recipe that can be made in less than 30 minutes. It’s filling enough to be lunch or dinner, or to serve as a side dish. Perfect for busy weeknights or easy lunches on the weekend!
I love spicy foods. For me the spicier the better. That’s why buffalo sauce is one of my favorite condiments. I love it in wraps, salads or tossed with my favorite wings.
You only need a handful of ingredients and a few pantry staples to make this homemade spicy mac and cheese in the comfort of home!
- Whole Wheat Penne: I like this pasta for mac and cheese because it’s thick, hearty, and hold up well with the creamy cheese sauce. But you can use whichever pasta you prefer or have on hand.
- The Roux: To make a roux, all you need is unsalted butter, all-purpose flour, and milk. The trick is to toast the flour in the butter gradually until it’s a medium to dark brown before whisking in the milk. Be extra careful not to burn the roux. If that happens, just start over; otherwise it’ll ruin the entire dish.
- Onion: Mince it finely so it almost melts into the sauce. You could also grate it, if you want it even finer.
- Cheddar Cheese: I like to grate my own cheese fresh off the block. I think it melts better and more smoothy this way. But feel free to use a package of shredded cheese, if it’s easier.
- Buffalo Sauce: I love using premade wing sauce for this recipe for shear convenience, but you could always make your own with some hot sauce, butter, and worcestershire sauce.
- Shredded Cooked Chicken: You can use breasts or thighs for this Creamy Spicy Buffalo Mac and Cheese recipe. Dealer’s choice!
- Blue Cheese: Mixed into the mac and cheese and used as a garnish to bring the buffalo chicken wings full circle!
- Chopped Parsley: For pops of green and fresh flavor!
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
This Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. It starts off with a typical roux (butter and flour whisked together). This helps thicken up our cheese sauce. Milk is then added and simmered until bubbly and thick. Cook pasta until al-dente (8-9 minutes) so it still has a nice bite to it. Stir in cheese, buffalo sauce, salt, and pepper.
Cook the chicken while the pasta is cooking, or save some time and use pre-cooked shredded chicken. Top with extra crumbled blue cheese and chopped parsley for serving, and enjoy!
Storage, Freezing, and Reheating Instructions
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Freeze for an easy make-ahead meal in a freezer-safe casserole dish for up to 6 months.
Allow frozen mac and cheese to thaw in the fridge overnight. Reheat chilled mac and cheese in the oven at 350 for 20-40 minutes (until warmed through and bubbling, around the sides), or in the microwave until hot.
More Side Dish Recipes To Try
- Easy Sweet Potato Casserole
- The BEST Green Bean Casserole
- Easy Bacon Cheddar Biscuits
- The BEST Cornbread
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons onion minced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 1% milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 tablespoons buffalo sauce
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 3 tablespoons blue cheese crumbled
- parsley for garnish if desired
- blue cheese for garnish if desired
- Boil pasta until aldente about 8-9 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt butter in a large skillet. Add in onion and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in flour and stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Add milk and simmer stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes until thick and creamy. (Keep an eye on it so milk does not burn on the bottom of pan or that it does not bubble over).
- Take off of the heat and whisk in cheese until fully melted.
- Add in buffalo sauce, the cooked noodles and chicken to the cheese sauce. Toss to coat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with blue cheese crumbs and parsley on top for garnish if desired.