This is truly the best Sweet Potato Casserole you will ever make. Creamy mashed sweet potatoes baked with a crunchy pecan streusel topping! This incredibly delicious side dish is not only easy but also perfect for either Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
Easy Sweet Potato Casserole
Classic Sweet Potato Casserole was never my favorite Thanksgiving side dish, until now. I prefer this Holiday casserole not too sweet and love the crunch of the streusel topping versus marshmallows. This recipe is the perfect combination of buttery and crunchy with the perfect amount of spice.
It takes just 15 minutes to prep and you can absolutely make it a day ahead to save yourself time in the kitchen. Made with classic sweet potato casserole ingredients such as, you guessed it, sweet potatoes, butter and brown sugar!
The Holidays can be extremely busy, so making dishes that are easy and can feed lots of people is very important. Saving time in the kitchen is also crucial, that is why I love making this recipe ahead of time, so I can spend more time with my family on Thanksgiving Day.
- Sweet Potatoes: Are the star on any sweet potato casserole! We peel and cube the sweet potatoes before adding them into the boiling water.
- Unsalted Butter: Adds creaminess and a buttery flavor to the sweet potatoes! If you are looking to lighten up this recipe use either olive oil or coconut oil in place of all or some of the butter.
- Milk: We used whole milk but use whatever milk you have on hand.
- Light Brown Sugar: Adds sweetness and a hint of nuttiness.
- Vanilla Extract: Adds the perfect hint of flavor.
- Kosher Salt: Actually helps to bring out the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes.
- Eggs: Help to bind the casserole ingredients together while baking.
Ingredients For Pecan Streusel Topping
- Flour: We use all purpose flour however you can substitute gluten free flour 1:1 to make this casserole gluten free.
- Light Brown Sugar: For sweetness and also bring in some moisture to the topping.
- Unsalted Butter: Is the key ingredient in streusel topping. You can also substitute melted coconut oil in place of the butter.
- Pecans: Adds a nice crunch to the topping. Feel free to omit to keep it nut free.
- Cinnamon: Warm and aromatic spice that’s perfect on any Holiday side dish or recipe.
How To Make Sweet Potato Casserole
To make the filling, boil sweet potatoes until fork tender, drain and place back into pot. Add in butter, milk, sugar, vanilla, salt and eggs to the sweet potatoes. Using a masher mix until smooth and creamy. Layer the sweet potatoes into the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
To make pecan topping, combine flour, light brown sugar, butter, salt, cinnamon and pecans in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Top your casserole with the streusel and bake for 25-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
Can This Be Made In Advance?
Yes! Prepare the filling and topping as directed. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight. When you are ready to eat bake the casserole in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes!
Can This Be Frozen?
Yes! If you are planning to make this casserole ahead of time I would cook and cool the sweet potato mixture and store in an airtight zip lock bag and freeze.
When you are ready to eat thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Prepare the pecan streusel as directed and spread on top of the sweet potato mixture.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-3 minutes and enjoy! Leftovers can be frozen as well up to 3 months. Reheat the same way just cover the top with aluminum foil. For the last minute or so of baking remove the foil and broil for 1-2 minutes to re toast the streusel.
To peel or not to peel?
I personally prefer the texture of the peeled potatoes however you can leave the skin on just make sure to throughly scrub the outside of the sweet potato before boiling.
- The sweet potatoes can be cooked in the crockpot or instant pot instead of boiled on the stove top.
- If you prefer a marshmallow topping simply omit the streusel and top the sweet potato mixture with 3-4 cups of mini marshmallows.
- Store any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- To reheat leftovers place casserole covered in aluminum foil in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until heated through.
Here Are More Easy Side Dish Recipes To Try!
- The BEST Green Bean Casserole
- Bacon Cheddar Biscuits
- Easy 30 Minute Creamy Confetti Corn
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
- Three Cheese Mac and Cheese
Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 to 4 large potatoes)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Sweet Potato Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 pan with nonstick cooking spray. Boil sweet potatoes until fork tender, drain and place back into pot.
- Add in butter, milk, sugar, vanilla, salt and eggs to the sweet potatoes. Using a masher mix until smooth and creamy.
- Layer the sweet potatoes into the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Top with the streusel and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Adapted from Food Network