Chicken Biryani is a super flavorful Indian dish made with grilled marinated chicken and fragrant Indian spiced rice.
Chicken Biryani is a staple in my household. This dish is so flavorful and a lot easier to make at home than you think. Marinated grilled chicken gets served on top of spiced fluffy basmati rice.
How to make Chicken Biryani
- To make the rice: Rinse and soak rice for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside. Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Sauté carrots, onions, ginger and garlic then add in the spices. I use cardamom, mace, clove, bay leave, turmeric, cinnamon and biryani masala powder. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant (keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn). After the spices are added I stir in diced tomatoes, chicken stock and the rice. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes or until the rice is tender and all of the liquid is absorbed. Add in the peas and stir to warm through. Keep on low until ready to serve with the chicken.
- To make the grilled chicken: The chicken gets marinated in Greek yogurt, lemon juice and lots of spices. The Greek yogurt and lemon juice help to tenderize the meat and keep it juicy. You can marinate the night before or for at least 30 minutes. When you are ready to eat preheat the grill to 400 degrees. Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard. Grill for 5-6 minutes on each side until fully cooked. After the chicken is cooked I allow it to rest for a couple of minutes to keep the chicken juicy. After it’s rested I slice it up and serve on top of the biryani rice with fresh chopped cilantro for garnish!
- When making biryani rice I recommend using basmati rice. It’s longer and fluffier than regular rice.
- You can find most of the spices at the farmers market or in the international isle in your grocery store.
- The chicken can be marinaded a day ahead or even overnight to let the flavors develop.
- Soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes before using and rinse. This helps the rise from becoming gummy and sticky.
Here are more delicious chicken recipes to try!
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- The BEST Chicken Parmesan
- Easy Chicken Shawarma
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Easy One Pan Bourbon Chicken
- Easy Thai Chicken Satay
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium carrots diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1 strand mace
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon biryani masala powder
- 1/2 cup medium tomato chopped
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- chopped fresh cilantro for garnish if desired
*Note: Prep time does not include marinating time*
- Rinse and soak rice for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add in onions and carrots and sauté until tender 3-4 minutes.
- Add in ginger and garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add in all the spices and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant (keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn)
- Stir in the tomato, stock and rice. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes or until the rice is tender and all of the liquid is absorbed.
Add in the peas and stir to warm through.
- Keep on low until ready to serve with the chicken.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large ziplock bag. Marinade overnight or for at least 30 minutes.
- When you are ready to eat preheat the grill to 400 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard.
- Grill for 5-6 minutes on each side until fully cooked.
- Allow the chicken to rest for a couple minutes then slice.
- Serve immediately over the biryani rice with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro for garnish, if desired.
Biryani Rice adapted from Indian Healthy Recipes