This Grilled Chicken Souvlaki is loaded with flavor! The chicken gets marinated in lots of garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and fresh herbs! Then it’s grilled until golden brown on the outside and juicy on the inside! Serve with some creamy tzatziki sauce and tender pita bread for an amazing Mediterranean-inspired meal!
Grilled Chicken Souvlaki
Chicken souvlaki is an easy but flavor packed recipe that you are going to absolutely love! Simple seasonings combined with fresh lemon juice, olive oil and lots of garlic marinate the chicken to juicy perfection! Then, you will place the chicken on skewers and grill. Souvlaki is usually served in a warm pita topped with creamy tzatziki sauce, red onion, cucumber and tomato!
Chicken souvlaki uses pantry staples that you might already have on hand! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken Breast: Chicken breast is my preferred meat here. You could also use boneless, skinless thighs if you prefer!
- Olive Oil: A bit of olive oil is added to the marinade for added fat.
- Lemon: Fresh lemon juice brightens the marinade and adds a bit of acid!
- Garlic: You will use 5 whole garlic cloves in the marinade!
- Seasonings: Oregano, Onion Powder, Salt and Pepper are used to season this chicken!
How to Make Chicken Souvlaki
- Make the Marinade: Cut the chicken into cubes. Add chicken, oil, lemon juice, oregano, onion powder, salt and pepper to a large ziplock bag. Toss to coat the chicken in the marinade.
- Let the Flavors Marinate: Let the chicken sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. If you want to marinade the chicken longer, place in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours. If using wooden skewers, let them soak in water while the chicken is marinating.
- Preheat Grill: When you are ready to cook the chicken, preheat the grill to 400 degrees.
- Prep the Skewers: Grease the grill gates with non stick cooking spray. Thread the chicken pieces onto the kabobs.
- Grill: Place on the grill and cook for 6-8 minutes, making sure to turn them so that all sides get golden brown.
- Serve: Serve immediately with tzatziki sauce for dipping!
Tips for Success
- Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes! For the most flavor packed chicken souvlaki, don’t skip that marinating time.
- Don’t over cook the chicken! Avoid over cooking the chicken breast to ensure tender, juicy chicken. Use a meat thermometer if needed to cook the chicken to 165 degrees!
- Don’t over pack the chicken on the skewer! You want the chicken pieces to be touching, but not too squished together. This way each piece of chicken has enough room to cook and it won’t take too long to cook through.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is souvlaki?
Greek chicken souvlaki means “meat on skewers”. Souvlaki can refer to just the grilled chicken skewers, or it also refers to the grilled meat inside a pita bread, topped with tzatiki sauce and other fixings like onion, cucumber and sometimes even french fries!
You can eat Greek chicken souvlaki on its own with some homemade tzatiki sauce, or you can make it a full meal! Pack the chicken into a pita and top it off with tzatziki, cucumbers, tomatoes, and Kalamata olives. You can also serve this chicken along side some hummus, a Mediterranean-inspired salad, and some homemade pita chips.
If you are looking to meal prep, pop the chicken into Tupperware along with rice, cucumbers, tomatoes, and top it all of with some creamy tzatziki sauce!
More Chicken Recipes to Try
This Chicken Souvlaki recipe takes a phenomenal street food and brings it to your kitchen! Pair with some creamy tzatziki sauce and tender pita bread for an amazing Mediterranean-inspired meal!
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite size cubes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Add chicken, oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, onion powder, salt and pepper to a large ziplock bag. Toss to coat the chicken in the marinade.
- Let the chicken sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. If you want to marinate the chicken longer place in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours.If using wooden skewer soak them while the chicken is marinating.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken preheat the grill to 400 degrees. Grease the grill grates with non stick cooking spray. Thread the chicken pieces onto the kabobs.
- Place on the grill and cook for 6-8 making sure to turn them so all of the sides get golden brown. Serve immediately with tzatziki sauce for dipping!