This mint chocolate mousse is topped with peppermint whipped cream and crushed up mint oreo’s! It is the ultimate dessert for chocolate and mint lovers. The mousse is super silky, rich and creamy! It’s a easy and delicious dessert that’s perfect for any occasion!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Mint Chocolate Mousse
Have you guys tried the new Mint Oreos yet? They are amazing! I’ve always loved the mint and chocolate combination and now I’ve taken it a step further. Rich and airy chocolate mousse topped with a sweet peppermint whipped cream. Top it off with some crumbled mint Oreos and you have an amazing dessert!
The mousse is extremely easy to make and only requires 3 ingredients which you probably already have in your pantry. Chocolate mousse is light, airy and rich. I used semi-sweet chocolate squares for this recipe. Dark chocolate would also work great just make sure to use a good quality chocolate.
This recipe makes about two to four servings, depending on the glass you serve it in. I used two large glasses which would be perfect for sharing. Or not! You can also use 4 smaller glasses for individual portions.
Serve this for St Patty’s Day for a green inspired treat!
Not a peppermint fan? Then try my original 3 Ingredient Chocolate Mousse Recipe!
Ingredients for Mint Chocolate Mousse
- Egg Yolks: Only use the yellow egg yolks in this mint mousse, not the whites. The yolks contain all of the vitamins, minerals, and — most importantly — the fats. The whites are made of protein, which we don’t use in homemade mousses and custards. Save the whites, though, in the fridge to make an egg white omelette or egg white muffin cups!
- Chocolate: I used a semisweet chocolate bar that I chopped up. I’ve found this melts more smoothly than chocolate chips.
- Peppermint Whipped Cream: Make your own peppermint whipped cream by whipping together heavy cream, granulated sugar, and peppermint extract.
- Mint Oreos: This is what takes this homemade mint chocolate mousse to the next level! Chop them up and use them as a garnish, or layer them like a parfait with the mint chocolate mousse and peppermint whipped cream.
How To Make Mint Chocolate Mousse
Start by whisking the egg yolks on the highest speed until they thicken with a hand mixer.
Meanwhile, heat 1/2 of the heavy cream in a saucepan.
Add a splash of the warm milk to the egg mixture and stir gently. (We are shocking the eggs so they do not scramble). Next add the egg mixture with the rest of the milk into the sauce pan and cook until thick.
Add in chocolate and stir until melted.
Whip the remaining heavy cream and fold into the chocolate mixture.
Refrigerate for 2-3 hours to set, serve, and enjoy!
How to Make Peppermint Whipped Cream
Add cream and sugar to a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whisk until cream forms soft peaks 2-3 minutes. Add in a couple drops of peppermint extract or more to taste. Serve on top of the chocolate mousse.
Store these prepared mint chocolate mousse cups in the fridge for up to 4 days. Do not freeze them, as they’ll loose their air and fall flat.
Tips and Variations
- Change up the chocolate! I used semisweet, but you could also use milk chocolate or dark chocolate, too.
- Layer this mint chocolate mousse like a parfait starting with the chocolate mousse, some peppermint whipped cream, and the chopped mint Oreos. Then repeat until the container is filled!
- Have fun with the glasses you use! I used plain glasses, but you could mix and match them, use mason jars, or use martini glasses!
- Garnish with some crushed peppermint candies for more mint flavor! It would make an adorable mini dessert with crushed up candy canes for christmas!
- If you don’t have mint oreo’s substitute regular oreo’s or use chopped up andes chocolate candies instead. You could also omit the oreos and garnish with mint sprigs on top.
More Easy Chocolate Dessert Recipes
- Andes Mint Cookies
- Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache
- Easy Chocolate Fudge
- Almond Clusters
- Triple Chocolate Mousse
- Hot Chocolate Cookies
Chocolate Mousse with Peppermint Whipped Cream
- Add egg yolks to a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. On the highest speed whisk yolks until they thicken and are lighter in color, about 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat warm up ½ cup heavy cream.Add a splash of the warm cream to the whisked egg yolks and stir gently. (We are shocking the eggs so they don't get too hot too fast and scramble.)Add the eggs with the rest of the milk into the saucepan. Cook mixture until thickened, 2 minutes, stir constantly.
- Take off of the heat and stir in chocolate until melted.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining ½ cup of heavy cream to the stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whisk until cream forms soft peaks, 2-3 minutes.
- Very carefully fold the whipped heavy cream into the chocolate mixture. Divide the chocolate mousse between two bowls or glasses. You could also make 4 smaller portions if you prefer.Place in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to set.
- Before serving top with the peppermint whipped cream and your choice of topping. Some of my favorites include: Mint Oreos, Andes Mint Candies, Chocolate Shavings, or Candy Canes.
Peppermint Whipped Cream
- Add cream and sugar to a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whisk until cream forms soft peaks 2-3 minutes. Add in a couple drops of peppermint extract or more to taste. Serve on top of the chocolate mousse.