This super rich and decadent Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache is made with only 3 ingredients, and it’s gluten-free! It’s the perfect dessert for Valentine’s Day, special occasions, or whenever a chocolate craving strikes.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Flourless Chocolate Cake is the Best Romantic Dessert!
If you’re looking for the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert, then I’ve got you covered! This flourless chocolate cake is super rich, chocolatey, and fudgey. The base of this cake only requires four ingredients, and the ganache only requires two. The ganache is totally optional for this cake, but highly suggested. Nothing wrong with extra chocolate on top!
In addition to only requiring six ingredients total for the cake and the ganache, this cake can be prepared and baked in under 30 minutes! Change up the berries or extra topping as you like, but you truly can’t go wrong with this classic chocolate cake recipe.
So, pour yourself a cold glass of milk, and enjoy this decadent Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache!
To make this easy flourless chocolate cake recipe, you’ll need just four ingredients: eight large eggs (chilled), 16-oz. semisweet baking chocolate (broken into squares to more easily melt), pure vanilla extract, and unsalted butter.
For the homemade chocolate ganache, all you’ll need is one and a half cups of semisweet chocolate chips and a half cup of heavy whipping cream. That’s it!
How To Make Flourless Chocolate Cake
- First, whip 8 eggs until fluffy and light in color. The eggs end up super creamy.
- Then, melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave until melted and smooth.
- Make the cake batter by adding the whipped eggs to the melted chocolate and butter. But make sure to temper your eggs first by adding a little of the warm chocolate mixture to the eggs before adding the rest of it. Pour cake batter into a greased spring form pan lined with aluminum foil. (Do not skip this step! I doubled up on aluminum foil to prevent water from getting in the pan.)
- Once your pan is wrapped, place the lined pan in a larger pan like a roasting pan, and fill halfway with hot water.
- Bake for 25 minutes, and cool to room temperature. Keep chilled until ready to top with ganache and serve.
How To Make Chocolate Ganache
The ganache is totally optional, but I highly recommend it! (Plus, you can never go wrong with a little extra chocolate!) And it’s incredibly easy to make! It’s just chocolate and heavy cream melted, mixed together, and poured on top of a dish like this flourless chocolate cake. Place the cake back in the fridge to allow the ganache to set.
To serve, I like to put strawberries and a light dusting of powdered sugar on top of the ganache.
Tips and Variations
- Use high-quality chocolate (both for the cake and the ganache)! The chocolate is what makes this recipe.
- Change up the fruit! You can swap the fresh strawberries for raspberries, blueberries, or even nectarines. Really anything that would pair well with chocolate!
- Garnish with some flakey sea salt to balance out the sweetness and elevate the chocolate flavor!
- Change up the chocolate in the ganache! You could use dark chocolate or even white chocolate in place of the semisweet chocolate chips.
- Top it off with a few dollops of fresh or store-bought whipped cream!
- Make this an flourless orange chocolate cake by simply adding orange extract to the cake batter in place of the vanilla. Garnish with fresh orange zest before serving!
Storage, Freezing, and Reheating Instructions
- Store leftover Flourless Chocolate Cake in an airtight container or plastic at in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container or plastic bag.
- Reheat your chocolate cake in the microwave until warmed through, about 1-3 minutes depending on whether it’s at room temperature or frozen. Or simply allow it to thaw to room temperature.
More Chocolate Dessert Recipes To Try
- The BEST Chocolate Cake
- Triple Chocolate Mini Cheesecakes
- 3-Ingredient Chocolate Mousse
- Easy Everyday Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache
Flourless Chocolate Cake
Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Line the bottom of an 8 or 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Liberally grease the sides of the pan.
- Wrap the outside of the springform pan with 2 sheets of aluminum foil. (This helps to keep the water out of the pan when cooking)
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment beat eggs on hight until lighter in color and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile add chocolate and butter to a medium microwave safe bowl. Heat in 15 second intervals until fully melted.
- Pour 1/3 of the egg foam into the chocolate mixture and stir until combined with a rubber spatula. Do not over mix.
- Mix in the rest of the egg foam and vanilla until fully incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Place the spring form pan into a larger pan. I used a large roasting pan. A large skillet with high sides would also work.
- Fill the large pan half way up with hot water. Be careful not to get any water into the cake.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes or until the thermometer reads 140 degrees.
- Remove from the water bath and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Transfer to the refrigerator to cool completely.
- To serve heat a sharp knife under running hot water. Slice cake making sure to wipe the knife off in between each cut.
- Cake can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days
- *If you are adding the ganache follow the directions below*
- Add chocolate chips and heavy cream to a medium microwave safe bowl. Heat in 15 second intervals until fully melted.
- Allow the ganache to cool for about 2-3 minutes. Pour and spread ontop of the cake.
- Place back into the fridge to allow the ganache to set.