This Creamy Dill Cucumber Salad is the perfect Summer side dish! Featuring crunchy cucumber, red onion, fresh dill and a creamy dressing. This Cucumber Salad comes together in minutes and goes with pretty much everything!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Creamy Cucumber Salad
Use this summer’s cucumber bounty on a tangy salad that definitely won’t disappoint! I don’t know about you, but sometimes I just need a simple and refreshing side salad to balance out a savory meal. That is where my creamy dill cucumber salad recipe comes in! This salad is flavorful, herby, and so easy to make.
The best thing? It is super versatile in what you pair it with. The flavors go with so many different options! Cucumber salad is the perfect picnic salad that goes with basically anything that you grill or any protein of your choice.
- English Cucumbers: English cucumbers are best for this salad because they have a thinner skin and smaller seeds, so there is no need to peel the cucumber. If you have regular cucumbers on hand, you can definitely use those but I recommend peeling them!
- Red Onion: Red onion adds a deeper flavor profile and goes well with cucumber. If your red onion is too strong try soaking the onion in some water to take the bite out of it. This keeps it from overpowering the salad too.
- Dill: I use a bunch of fresh dill in this salad and it makes such a difference! You could also add some fresh parsley in here too if you have it on hand.
- Sour Cream & Mayonnaise: The creamy base of this salad is made of a mixture of sour cream and mayonnaise. I like the tanginess the sour cream adds and the mayo adds a nice thick creaminess.
- White Wine Vinegar: White wine vinegar is the tangy acid that this salad needs!
- Onion & Garlic Powder: A bit of onion powder and garlic powder are used to season the salad.
- Sugar: Sugar balances the white wine vinegar to make sure it isn’t too acidic.
How to Make Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Make the Dressing: Add the sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder and sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine until it’s smooth and lump free.
- Add the Veggies: Toss in the cucumbers, onion and dill. Toss to combine and serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Make it ahead! This salad is great to make a day ahead since it builds flavor in the fridge and nothing gets soggy.
- Try using yogurt! You can switch the sour cream and mayo for a plain, unsweetened yogurt instead. It isn’t going to be as creamy, but it will still be delicious!
- Add different veggies! You can feel free to add or omit as you would like. You definitely need the cucumbers but you can omit the onions or add cherry tomatoes if you would like! Or, you can use a Vidalia or white onion for less of an oniony bite.
- Switch up the herbs! I love dill in this salad, but you can also use mint or basil for a twist.
What To Serve With This Creamy Cucumber Salad
You can eat this salad on its own as a snack, or make it part of a bigger meal. Try pairing this picnic perfect creamy dill cucumber salad with some of my favorites!
- Grilled Vegetable Panini
- Easy Skirt Steak
- Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs
- Grilled Chicken
- Chicken Shawarma
- Steak Bites and Potatoes
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of cucumbers should I use for cucumber salad?
You can use any kind of cucumber you want here. English cucumbers are good because you can keep the thin peel on and they are slightly sweet than other cucumbers. You can also try Persian cucumbers which are smaller and a bit crunchier! But truly, any cucumber will do.
How to store leftover cucumber salad?
Store any leftover cucumber salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
More Easy Salad Recipes to Try
- Japanese Cucumber Salad
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Bowtie Pasta Salad
- Cucumber Avocado Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad
Creamy Dill Cucumber Salad
- Add the sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder and sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine until it's smooth and lump free.
- Toss in cucumbers, onion and dill.
- Toss to combine and serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.