Ever wonder how to make the creamy cheesy Hashbrown Casserole from Cracker Barrel? Look no further! This Hashbrown Casserole is perfect alongside bacon, sausage and eggs and is the perfect brunch or holiday breakfast!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
The BEST Hashbrown Casserole
I don’t know about you but my favorite part of eating breakfast out is the potatoes on my breakfast plate. Home-fries, hash browns you name it I love it! So when I tried Cracker Barrel’s cheesy hash brown casserole I knew I had to try to make it at home! And goes what it’s suprisingly easy!
This hashbrown casserole is cheesy, comforting and filling with a thick and creamy homemade cheese sauce. Not only is this casserole impressive, it is actually super easy to make. For minimal prep time and maximum convenience, this recipe uses frozen, packaged hashbrowns! You will basically just make a simple cheese sauce and then bake to get it all together until it is nice and crispy on the top and gooey in the middle.
To save even more time, feel free to prep this ahead of time and keep it in the fridge or even freeze it until you are ready to bake it!
Looking for more Casserole Recipes? Give my Broccoli Rice Cheese Casserole a try!
- Hashbrowns: This ingredients couldn’t be easier. For this recipe, you can use packaged frozen hashbrowns. Make sure you let them thaw out first!
- Onion: Diced onions add flavor and a bit of a crunch.
- Garlic: You will need some fresh garlic for added aromatics and flavor.
- Flour: Flour + butter will make this cheese sauce nice and thick!
- Chicken Broth: Instead of water, use chicken broth for extra flavor.
- Milk: For a creamy, dreamy sauce use milk. You can use any milk that you have on hand in this recipe.
- Dijon Mustard: Dijon mustard adds flavor and a bit of acidity to balance all the rich flavors.
- Worcestershire Sauce: I am a huge fan of Worcestershire sauce because it has a tangy, umami flavor that no other ingredient can bring.
- Sour Cream: For an extra thick and creamy sauce, I added some sour cream.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese: Freshly grated cheese works best here. Buy it in a block and shred it yourself before adding it to your sauce.
- Parmesan Cheese: Grated parmesan cheese is added for extra cheesy goodness!
- Italian Seasoning: For seasoning, I like to add some Italian seasoning. You can also add salt & pepper to taste.
How to make this Hashbrown Casserole
- Prep oven & sauté veggies: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a small saucepan and add the onion and sauté for 4 minutes or until the onion starts to get tender. Add in the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Thicken and add liquid: Add the flour as a thickening agent and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in the milk, broth, spices, Dijon and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes.
- Add cheese: Remove from heat and add in 2 cups of cheddar cheese. Whisk until all of the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth and lump free. Stir in the sour cream.
- Assemble: Place the thawed hashbrowns in a layer in a 9×13 baking dish. Pour the cheese mixture on top over the hashbrowns evenly. Top with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
- Bake: Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Rest and Serve: Allow the casserole to rest for 10 minutes, then serve and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Hashbrown Casserole
- If you prefer, you can use cubed shaped hashbrowns for thicker bites of potato in your hashbrown casserole!
- Add veggies to make this a healthier meal! You can add broccoli, bell peppers, and corn to switch it up and make this a veggie packed hashbrown casserole. Or, top it off with avocado when you are ready to eat it!
- For the best tasting hashbrown casserole, make sure to shred your own cheddar cheese. The pre-shredded cheese can become grainy when it is melted into a sauce!
- It is best to thaw your frozen hashbrowns before baking this casserole for the best texture. If you put in the frozen hashbrowns, the texture might become mushy. Once the hashbrowns are thawed, pat them dry with a paper towel for best results!
what to serve with this hashbrown casserole
Storage, Freezing & Reheating Instructions
- To store: Make this casserole ahead of time but don’t bake yet. Then store in the fridge for 1-2 days until you are ready to bake it. Or, if you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: To freeze the casserole, bake it as instructed and then allow it to cool to room temperature. Cover with a layer of plastic wrap followed by a layer of foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Place it in the fridge overnight when you are ready to bake it!
- To reheat: Reheat in the microwave or oven until heated through.
More Breakfast Recipes to Try!
- Eggs Benedict
- Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
- Easy Breakfast Bake
- Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Homemade Everything Bagels
- 30 ounces frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp worcestershire
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter over medium high heat in a small saucepan.Add in onion and saute for 4 minutes or until the onion starts to get tender.Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.Slowly whisk in broth, milk, dijon, Worcestershire, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat stirring constantly, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add in 2 cups cheddar cheese. Whisk until all of the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth and lump free. Stir in sour cream.
- Layer the hash browns in a 13 x 9 casserole dish (no need to grease)Pour the cheese mixture on top. Top with 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Allow the casserole to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving!