Peppermint Brownies. Soft and chewy brownies layered with a chocolate ganache and topped with candy canes! These one-bowl brownies couldn’t be easier to make, and are perfect for the holiday season. Make them with the kids this Christmas!
These Peppermint Brownies are SO delicious and indulgent, and could not be easier to make. Everything is made in one bowl. No mixer needed!
The chocolate peppermint brownies are topped with an amazing chocolate ganache then sprinkled with crushed up candy canes. They have the perfect amount of peppermint and crunch! I also added less flour to make these brownies extra fudgy and rich, and to bring out the chocolate flavor even more I add in instant coffee.
These are seriously The Best Brownies, and will be absolutely perfect for the dessert table this Christmas, or anytime over the holiday season! This peppermint brownie recipe is also great to make with kids. They’ll love mixing the ingredients in the mixing bowl, and sprinkling the candy canes on top before digging in with a glass of cold milk!
The full ingredient list and measurements are listed in the printable recipe below.
- Chocolate: I used both cocoa powder and chocolate chips. These brownies are SUPER chocolatey!
- Sugar: This brownie recipe calls for both brown and white sugars. The white sugar adds sweetness, and the brown sugar adds a hint of caramel, as well as sweetness.
- Butter: This adds to the richness! I browned the butter in a saucepan before adding it to the other ingredients. Brown butter tastes amazing in brownies!
- Coffee: Adding coffee to chocolate desserts is such a great trick because it really helps to bring out the chocolate flavor!
- Candy Canes: Crushed candy canes add the peppermint flavor and an incredible crunch which really takes these peppermint brownies up a notch!
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: They’re easy to melt and not too sweet. Most of the sweetness comes from the brownies themselves in this recipe, and I didn’t want to add too much more sweetness. Bittersweet chocolate would also work well.
- Cream: I used heavy cream which is the best type of cream to use when making a ganache, as it gives the sauce that shine we all love to see!
How to make the best Peppermint Brownies
- Brown the butter: Brown the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until it is a light brown, caramel color. Add the browned butter to a mixing bowl while it’s still warm and stir in the sugars, baking powder, cocoa, and salt.
- Cool: Allow the batter to sit for 5 minutes to cool.
- Mix in the other ingredients: fold in the coffee, eggs, vanilla, flour, and chocolate chips. Kids can help with this step!
- Bake: Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is set and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- Make the ganache: In a small saucepan add the chocolate chips and heavy cream. Whisk until smooth and melted, and then pour it over the brownies.
- Sprinkle and serve: Crush the candy canes, sprinkle them over the top, and enjoy!
How do I crush the candy canes?
Either with your hands, or place them in a ziplock bag and seal it. Use a rolling pin and roll the candy canes inside the bag until they are crushed. This works well for other hard candies too!
What types of candy can I use other than candy canes?
You can find these options throughout the year at the supermarket or even online:
- Starlight Mints
- Spearmint Starlight Mints
- Sweet Stripes Peppermint Candy
- Werther’s Original Caramel Hard Candies, for something other than mint!
Storage & Freezing Peppermint Brownies
- Store: In an airtight container in the refrigerator or on the counter for up to 4 days.
- Freezing: Freeze these chocolate peppermint brownies for up to 3 months in the freezer. When you’re ready to eat them, thaw them overnight in the refrigerator. Perfect to make ahead for Christmas day!
Here are more desserts to try this Christmas:
- Chocolate Chip Christmas Cookies
- 4 Ingredient Peppermint Ganache Pie
- Hot Chocolate Cookies
- Orange Chocolate Chip Biscotti
- Pecan Pie Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
Need more quick & easy recipes in your life? Subscribe to my weekly newsletter or follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for all the daily updates.
If you try this recipe, I’d love to know! Leave a star rating below, and don’t forget to take pictures and tag me on Facebook and Instagram!
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter cubed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs cold
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup candy canes crushed
- 1½ cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9 x 9 or 8 x 8 pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Lightly spray with cooking spray or grease with butter. Set aside.
- Add butter to a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until light brown / caramel in color. 5-10 minutes. Make sure to keep and eye on it so butter does not burn. It also helps to use a light colored saucepan for this.
- Pour browned butter into a large bowl along with both sugars, cocoa powder, salt, instant coffee granules and baking powder. Stir until combined and allow to rest for 5 minutes or until the mixture has cooled down.
- Stir in the eggs and vanilla and mix until batter has a nice sheen to it.
- Fold in the flour and stir until combined. (Do not over mix)
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is set and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely.
- Once cool top with the chocolate ganache.
- Sprinkle with the crushed candy canes.
- Cut into 9 brownies and serve.
- In a small saucepan add the chocolate chips and heavy cream. Whisk until smooth and melted, set aside.