Copycat Cosmic Brownies topped with a Chocolate Ganache and rainbow sprinkles! Super chocolatey, rich, and chewy! Just like your childhood favorite. These fun, colorful brownies are very easy to make, much better than store-bought, and perfect for any occasion, especially kid’s birthday parties!
Remember these Little Debbie cosmic brownies from your childhood? Well, I’m bringing them back!
These brownies are amazing and seriously addicting. They taste just like the brownies you love, topped with tons of rainbow sprinkles. These Cosmic Brownies are super dense, chocolatey with a thick layer of chocolate ganache on top! Best of all, I made these with ingredients I already had on hand in my pantry saving me a trip to the store!
These homemade cosmic brownies have to be my favorite brownie yet. They are so rich with the perfect amount of chewiness. This recipe uses less flour which helps with the chewiness and substitutes some brown sugar for extra moisture.
These Homemade Cosmic Brownies are loaded with tons of chocolate flavor. I used unsweetened cocoa powder AND semi-sweet chocolate chips.
I made a special trip for these colorful sprinkles. However you can always substitute mini M & M’s or rainbow sprinkles. I love the burst of color!
Cosmic Brownies Ingredients
The full ingredient list and measurements are listed in the printable recipe below.
Copycat Cosmic Brownies:
- Cocoa Powder: I used unsweetened cocoa powder to give these copycat cosmic brownies the chocolatey taste we all love!
- Sugar: This recipe uses both granulated sugar and brown sugar. The granulated sugar is purely for added sweetness, and the brown sugar adds a delicious caramel undertone to the brownies.
- Butter: Brownies need butter to turn the richness and flavor up 100%!
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: They’re easy to melt and not too sweet. Most of the sweetness comes from the brownies themselves in this recipe, and I didn’t want to add too much more sweetness. Bittersweet chocolate would also work well.
- Cream: I used heavy cream which is the best type of cream to use when making a ganache, as it gives the sauce that shine we all love to see!
- Sprinkles: Colorful cosmic sprinkles, of course!
How to make the BEST Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies
- Make the brownies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9 x 9 or 8 x 8 pan with aluminum foil. Lightly spray with cooking spray or grease with butter and set aside. Melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl until melted (about 1 minute). Allow the butter to cool slightly and then stir in both sugars, cocoa, vanilla, and eggs until combined. Fold in flour and salt. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake the brownies for 25 minutes. Allow them to cool completely.
- How to make Chocolate Ganache: I top the brownies off with a simple chocolate ganache, and it is super easy to whip up. To make the chocolate ganache, melt chocolate and heavy cream in the microwave until smooth and melted. You can also cook the ganache over a double boiler. Allow the ganache to cool for about 2-3 minutes. Spread on top of the cooled brownies and place in the fridge to allow it to set.
Can I add other sprinkles on top?
Of course! My favorite are these rainbow chocolate chips because they’re just like Little Debbie’s, but if you can’t find them any fun sprinkles will do, or even some crushed M&M’s! You can also theme the colors for holidays, e.g. red & green for Christmas, orange & black for Halloween, red, white & blue for July 4th, and pastel colors for Easter. You can even try using your favorite sports team colors for game day!
Storage & Freezing
- Store: In an airtight container in the refrigerator or on the counter for up to 4 days.
- Freezing: Freeze these copycat cosmic brownies for up to 3 months in the freezer. When you’re ready to eat them, thaw them overnight in the refrigerator.
Here are more brownie recipes to try!
- The BEST Brownies
- Peppermint Brownies
- Mocha Cream Brownies
- Zucchini Brownies
- Chocolate Mint Andes Brownies
- Brownies with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Samoa Brownies
Copycat Cosmic Brownies
Copycat Cosmic Brownies
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- cosmic sprinkles
Copycat Cosmic Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9 x 9 or 8 x 8 pan with aluminum foil. Lightly spray with cooking spray or grease with butter. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl until melted (about 1 minute). Allow the butter to cool slightly.
- Stir in both sugars, cocoa, vanilla and eggs until combined.
- Fold in flour and salt.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Add chocolate chips and heavy cream to a medium microwave safe bowl. Heat in 15 second intervals until fully melted.
- Allow the ganache to cool for about 2-3 minutes. Pour and spread ontop of the cooled brownies.
- Place back into the fridge to allow the ganache to set.
- Serve with rainbow sprinkles on top!
Adapted from Handle the Heat