These Air Fryer Potato Skins are a delicious, healthier twist on the classic fried potato skins. They are stuffed to the brim with cheddar cheese, crispy bacon, sour cream and green onions and crisped up to perfection in the air fryer! Eat them as an appetizer or snack on game day or whenever you are craving something special!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
THe Best Potato Skins Recipe
If you are a fan of crispy fried potato skins, you will absolutely love this homemade air fryer potato skins recipe! Not only are potato skins easy to make at home, but the air fryer does the perfect job at making they perfectly crispy without adding all the fat that deep frying would.
These potato skins are great for a cozy movie night in, or to feed a crowd on game day! Trust me when I say these will disappear quick!
- Russet Potatoes: Russet potatoes work best here since they have a thick skin that will get super crispy in the air fryer!
- Salt & Water: To season the potatoes, mix salt and water and dip each potato in it after having poked a few holes in the potatoes. That way, the salt can seep into the potatoes!
- Olive Oil: Once you are ready to put the potato skins into the air fryer, you can brush them with olive oil so they crisp up!
- Cheddar Cheese: I like to use shredded cheddar cheese, but you can use your favorite kind of cheese in these.
- Bacon: Crispy bacon is a must! Make bacon before hand and let it cool before crumbling it up.
- For Serving: Top the warm potato skins with a dollop of sour cream and some green onions or chives!
How to make air fryer potato skins
- Preheat & Prep: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prick the potatoes 2-3 times on each side with a fork.
- Dip Potatoes in Salt Water: Add water and salt to a medium bowl and stir to combine. One at a time, add the potato into the salted water and roll around to cover the potato. Transfer the potatoes to a baking sheet lined with a wire rack.
- Bake: Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Allow the potatoes to cool.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Spray the rack insert with non stick cooking spray.
- Prep the Skins: Cut the potatoes in half and scoop out most of the flesh of the potatoes, leaving about a 1/2 inch. Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Air Fry: Air fry for 6 minutes then top with shredded cheese and bacon. Air fry again for an additional 4-6 minutes or until the cheese is melty and the potato skin is crisp on the bottom.
- Serve & Enjoy: Serve potato skins immediately with sour cream and green onions for serving! Enjoy!
Tips for Success
- Top them off with all your favorite toppings! Bacon, cheese, sour cream and green onions (or chives) are classic toppings for these loaded potato skins. But, you can also drizzle them with buffalo sauce and ranch, or throw on some diced jalapeños for a bit of spice!
- Use large russet potatoes! The bigger the potato, the better! They will hold up better than the smaller ones.
- Don’t slice the potatoes in half until they are completely cooled. They will fall apart if you don’t! Place them in the fridge to help speed things along.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do with the middle of the potato?
How should I store air fryer potato skins?
Store any leftover air fryer potato skins without the sour cream and green onions in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or air fryer until crispy and top with sour cream and green onions. I would avoid reheating these in the microwave since they will lose their crispiness!
Are air fryer potato skins freezer friendly?
Yes! To freeze your air fryer potato skins, allow them to cool completely and do not top with sour cream or green onions. Then, place the potato skins in a freezer safe bag and freeze for up to 6 months. To reheat, place frozen potato skins in the air fryer at 400 for about 4-5 minutes. Enjoy!
More Appetizer Recipes to Try
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Homemade Pretzel Bites
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- 7 Layer Bean Dip
- Air Fryer Pickles
Air Fryer Potato Skins
- sour cream
- green onions, sliced
Step 1: Cook Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.Prick the potatoes 2-3 times on each side with a fork.
- Add water and salt to a medium bowl and stir to combine. One at a time add the potato into the salted water and roll around to cover the potato.Transfer the potatoes to a baking sheet topped with a wire rack.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Allow the potatoes to cool.
Step 2: Air Fryer :
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees. Spray the rack insert with non stick cooking spray.
- Cut the potatoes in half and scoop out most of the flesh of the potatoes leaving about a 1/2 inch.
- Drizzle the potato skins with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Air fry for 6 minutes then top with shredded cheese and bacon.Air fry again for an additional 4-6 minutes or until the cheese is melty and the potato skin is crisp on the bottom.
- Serve potato skins immediately with sour cream and green onions for serving!