Air Fryer Zucchini Fries are a healthy twist on the classic french fry. Slices of fresh zucchini are are coated in a parmesan breadcrumb mixture and air-fried to crispy perfection! You will be shocked how CRISPY these are! Serve with homemade basil mayo for dipping!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
AIr Fryer Zucchini Fries
Curb those french fry cravings with healthy air fryer zucchini fries! I absolutely love using my air fryer to make this appetizer that is super crunchy on the outside and smooth and tender on the inside.
You would not believe how crispy these zucchini fries get in the air fryer!
Plus, zucchini is a neutral flavored vegetable that is high in vitamins and nutrients, so it is totally worth making them into this fry version to increase your veggie consumption! Even picky eaters will love these crispy, crunchy treats! Serve with homemade basil mayo for dipping!
what makes these zucchini fries so crispy?
- I salt the zucchini sticks after they are cut to help draw out some of the moisture.
- I spray the tops of the zucchini with nonstick cooking spray. This helps them to crisp up even more when they cook in the air fryer.
- Use egg whites! They have less fat and moisture and help to keep the breading on and the texture of the breading light.
- Using panko breadcrumbs versus regular breadcrumbs results in a lighter crispier breading!
- Zucchinis: In the summertime, this recipe is perfect to use up any zucchini coming from your garden. But this recipe is good any time of year!
- Salt: I salt the zucchinis before cooking to remove excess moisture. It also helps to season the zucchini.
- All-Purpose Flour: Flour helps the egg and breadcrumbs have something to stick to! For gluten-free zucchini fries, use a gluten-free replacement flour!
- Egg Whites: Have less moisture and fat versus the whole egg and help to crisp up the zucchini fries.
- Panko Breadcrumbs: Panko breadcrumbs work well for a super crispy outer layer!
- Parmesan Cheese: Makes everything better! I add grated parmesan cheese to the panko breadcrumbs to create a cheesy breading.
- Spices: Season the breading to perfection with garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning and salt!
- Basil Garlic Mayo: I LOVE dipping these zucchini fries in a homemade basil garlic mayo made from mayo, garlic, basil, lemon, salt and pepper!
HOw to Make air fryer zucchini fries
- Prep Zucchini: Lay zucchini fries on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 15 minutes then pat dry with another paper towel. You don’t need to whip the salt off, this is just to extract some moisture and to season the zucchini at the same time!
- Set Up Breading Station: In a small shallow bowl, add flour. To another small bowl add the egg whites.
- Combine Breading with Spices: In the last bowl combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasonings and salt.
- Dip Zucchini: Working in batches, dip the zucchini sticks into the flour, followed by the egg whites, then into the parmesan breadcrumb mixture. Set them aside on a plate until all of the zucchini fries are breaded.
- Preheat Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. Spray the insert liberally with nonstick cooking spray. Add in zucchini fries in a single layer. I cook them in batches to make sure each one gets super crispy!
- Cook: Cook for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown on the outside!
- Serve: Serve immediately with basil mayo for dipping, or any of your favorite dipping sauces!
Tips for Success
- In order to avoid soggy fries, make sure to salt the zucchinis and pat them dry to remove extra moisture!
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer! To get super crispy zucchini fries, make sure they each have a little room around each of them!
- Serve your air fryer zucchini fries with all of your favorite dipping sauces like ranch, garlic aioli, or even ketchup! I absolutely love them with the garlicky basil mayo in this recipe, but these crispy zucchini fries are extremely versatile and can be served exactly how you like them! Pair them with a pulled pork sandwich or some honey BBQ chicken bites!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make zucchini fries in the oven instead?
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can definitely use the oven instead! Bake them at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes or until crispy! This method is good if you are making a large batch of zucchini fries!
How should I store leftover zucchini fries?
Store leftover zucchini fries in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days! Reheat in the air fryer or oven to keep them crispy!
More Appetizers to Try
- Air Fryer Pickles
- Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Easy Bruschetta
- Air Fryer Chickpeas
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
Basil Garlic Mayo
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Lay zucchini fries onto a paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 15 minutes then pat dry with another paper towel. (You don't need to wipe the salt off)
- In a small shallow bowl add flour. To another small bowl add the egg whites.In the last bowl combine breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasonings and salt.
- Working in batches dip zucchini sticks into the flour, followed by the egg whites then the parmesan breadcrumb mixture.Set them aside on a plate until all of the zucchini fries are breaded.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F. Spray the insert liberally with nonstick cooking spray. Add in zucchini fries in a single layer (I cook them in batches)
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown on the outside.
- Serve immediately with basil mayo for dipping!
Basil Garlic Mayo
- Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl. Whisk to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside until your ready to serve.