Crispy Baked Honey Chipotle Wings are super easy to make and much healthier than fried. Tossed in a sweet and spicy Honey Chipotle sauce, they’re perfect as an appetizer or party food!
Confession: I love chicken wings. Especially wings that are super crispy and dripping with lots of sauce. The sauce has to be super spicy and accompanied by ranch dressing for dipping.
When I order wings out at a restaurant I always get naked wings extra crispy and the sauce on the side. This ensures my wings are always super crispy and I can load them up with as much sauce as I like.
I baked these chicken wings in the oven instead of frying them. It saves some calories and you still get a super crispy chicken wing.
These wings are surprisingly easy to make. I like to make the Honey Chipotle sauce while the chicken is cooking and toss everything together once the chicken is out of the oven.
These Crispy Baked Honey Chipotle Wings are a perfect snack or appetizer. Grab some napkins, whip up some Blue Cheese Dressing or Honey Jalapeño Ranch, and enjoy these Crispy Baked Honey Chipotle Wings!
What you’ll need for these baked wings
- Chicken: Bone-in skin-on chicken wings are ideal for this recipe. The honey chipotle wing sauce also works with drumsticks or chicken thighs.
- Honey: Honey makes these wings sweet and sticky! The way wings should be!
- Chiles in adobo: I added the sauce from a can of chiles in adobo for the heat. It’s smoky and spicy, so addictive!
- Butter: Butter makes the hot honey wing sauce extremely moreish. Once you start it’s hard to stop eating them!
- Ketchup: Ketchup brings a little more sweetness and a robust tomato flavor to these wings. It’s amazing what a difference a little ketchup can make!
- Vinegar: To balance all of the other flavors with acidity, I added just a touch of apple cider vinegar. White wine vinegar would be a great substitute if needed.
How to make Honey Chipotle Wings
- I start by dabbing the chicken wings with a paper towel to ensure they are completely dry.
- Net, I place them on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. This makes the chicken extra crispy by allowing the extra grease to drip down onto the baking sheet.
- Cook the wings in a 400-degree oven for 40-45 minutes until cooked through.
- Then place them under the broiler for an additional 2-4 minutes to crisp up even more.
How do you make chipotle sauce for wings?
Now let’s talk about the sauce. It’s sweet and spicy and smothered on top of the wings. The sauce is made up of honey, chiles in adobo, ketchup, vinegar, and butter. You can control the amount of heat by adding more chiles in adobo for spicier wings or more honey to sweeten it up.
To me, the chilies in adobo make the sauce. I like to add about 1-2 tablespoons more when I am making this for myself. I love the smokey flavor and spiciness. You can find chilies in adobo in your grocery store in the Mexican aisle.
All you have to do to make the Honey Chipotle Wings Sauce is add all of the sauce ingredients to a saucepan on the stove and heat it until the butter melts and it’s warmed through. Then toss the wings in the sauce and serve!
Tips for making crispy chicken wings
- Pat the chicken dry: Removing excess moisture means the wings will crisp up quicker in the oven.
- Broil after baking: Turning the broiler on for a few minutes after they’ve baked makes them SUPER crispy! I usually stick to between 2-4 minutes, however, you can bake them a little longer if you prefer!
- Toss the sauce later: I recommend tossing the wings in the sauce at the last minute so that the sauce doesn’t make them soggy.
- Serve the sauce separately: Instead of tossing the crispy baked wings in the sauce, serve the sauce on the side and use it as a dip! This will make sure the Honey Chipotle Wings stay crispy with every bite!
What do honey chipotle wings taste like?
Honey Chipotle Wings are sweet, smoky, and spicy. The texture of the chicken wings is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. They’re absolutely addictive!
What is honey chipotle sauce made of?
In this honey chipotle sauce recipe, you’ll find honey, adobo sauce, butter, ketchup, and apple cider vinegar. Most of these ingredients you’ll already have on hand in your pantry!
Is chipotle sauce spicy?
Chipotle sauce is made with hot chili peppers in adobo sauce so, yes, it is spicy! However, it’s not overly spicy, but more of a pleasant heat.
Here are some more appetizers you’ll love!
- Healthy Greek Yogurt Guacamole
- Rainbow Vegetable Spring Rolls
- Warm French Onion Dip
- Crab Cakes with Lemon Aioli
- Slow Cooker Sriracha Meatballs
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a review! This helps other readers and my website! I love to hear your feedback!
Crispy Baked Honey Chipotle Chicken Wings
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken wings
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons chiles in adobo sauce only
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Dab the chicken wings off with a paper towel to ensure they are completely dry.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken wings on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet.
- Place them in the oven and cook for 40-45 minutes until cooked through.
- Keep the chicken in the oven and turn the broiler on. Broil chicken for 2-4 minutes (or longer depending on how crispy you like your wings). Keep a very close eye on them.
- Meanwhile, add honey, chilies in adobo, butter, ketchup and apple cider vinegar to a small saucepan. Cook for 2-3 minutes until butter is melted. Keep on low heat until ready to toss with wings.
- Immediately after wings are done cooking toss them in the Honey Chipotle sauce.
- Serve immediately with ranch or blue cheese dressing.