Yes you can make CRISPY Baked Chicken Wings in the oven that are just as good as deep fried! I toss my wings in lots of spices and baking powder (my secret for super crispy wings!)
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Best Crispy Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
Seriously, what isn’t to love about super crispy chicken wings?! I love chicken wings so much, but I know that ordering them at a restaurant means they were deep fried in tons of oil.
That is why I set out to perfect this crispy baked chicken wings recipe! There is no oil needed in this recipe. Just a few simple pantry ingredients and a baking sheet lined with a wire rack will have you on your way to super crispy homemade wings!
This is a basic recipe for homemade wings that you can eat as is, or toss in all of your favorite wing sauces! I love these with buffalo, BBQ, honey mustard, or even honey chipotle! Yum! And don’t forget the ranch and blue cheese!
You only need 6 ingredients for these easy crispy baked chicken wings! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken Wings: You can get party wings at the store for a combination of wings and drumsticks!
- Baking Powder: This helps the skin really crisp up in the oven.
- Salt & Pepper: To taste!
- Garlic Powder & Onion Powder: For some extra flavor!
How to Make chicken wings in the oven
- Preheat & Prep: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a slip mat or aluminum foil. Top with a wire rack and set aside. Dab the chicken wings off with a paper towel to ensure they are completely dry.
- Season the Chicken: Add the chicken wings to a medium bowl. Sprinkle with baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Toss to coat the chicken wings in the seasonings.
- Place on Rack & Bake: Place the chicken wings onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken wings.
- Flip: Turn the chicken wings every 20 minutes to ensure they get crispy on both sides.
- Serve: Serve the chicken wings as is with ranch dressing or blue cheese for dipping. You can toss these with your favorite wings sauce or my honey chipotle sauce, too!
Tips for Success
- Make sure to dry the wings thoroughly! The first step in getting super crispy wings is drying them off with paper towels to remove any excess moisture. Moisture is the enemy to crispy chicken skin!
- If you are tossing the wings in a sauce, you can toss them in the sauce after they are done baking, and pop them back in the oven so that the sauce is warm. Or, heat up the sauce in a saucepan before tossing with the wings!
- Consider serving your homemade oven baked wings with carrot sticks and celery!
Frequently asked Questions
What can I serve with wings to make it a meal?
How should I store leftover baked chicken wings?
Store any leftover chicken wings in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days! Reheat in the oven or air fryer for crispy leftovers!
Do I add the sauce before or after baking the wings?
Definitely add the sauce after you bake the wings! This will ensure that the wings get crisped up before you add the sauce on top.
More Appetizer Recipes to Try
- Asian-style Chicken Meatballs
- Crab Rangoon
- Homemade Potato Chips
- Spicy Guacamole
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a slipmat or aluminum foil. Top with a wire rack, set aside.
- Dab the chicken wings off with a paper towel to ensure they are completely dry.
- Add the chicken wings to a medium bowl. Sprinkle with baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Toss to coat the chicken wings in the seasonings.Place the chicken wings onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken wings)
- Turn the chicken wings every 20 minutes to ensure they get crispy on both sides.
- Serve the chicken wings as is with ranch dressing or blue cheese for dipping. You could also toss these with your favorite wings sauce or my Honey Chipotle Sauce!