Grain-free, healthy and totally delicious. Sweet Potato Toast is the new breakfast that is sure to start your day off right! I included my two favorite Sweet and Savory options to serve Sweet Potato Toast! I also have instructions for cooking in the air fryer or in the oven!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Sweet Potato Toast (Two Way’s)
Sweet potato toast is a healthy breakfast or snack that is super versatile! This is great for those of you who are gluten-free and/or vegetarian. Not only is the sweet potato portion of this meal healthy, but the toppings that go on are also good for you and so delicious.
I love this meal because it is so easy to make and I can make it whatever I want. My two favorite variations are peanut butter, honey and granola and mashed avocado. They both offer lots of healthy fat, fiber and so much flavor!
This is also a great recipe to meal prep and make ahead of time. I like to cook 1 or 2 potatoes at a time and store the extra cooked slices in the fridge. In the mornings all I have to do is reheat in the toasted or air fryer then top with my favorite toppings!
sweet potato toast ingredients
My recipe for sweet potato toast is super simple. I listed two of my favorite options for toppings here but have even more options below!
- Sweet Potato: First and most importantly, you need one large sweet potato. I like to peel my sweet potato and slice it into 1/4 inch thick slices. You can keep the skin on if you prefer, just be sure to clean to sweet potato well first.
- Peanut Butter Granola Topping: For a peanut butter granola topping, all you need is peanut butter, granola of your choice, and honey.
- Mashed Avocado Topping: For a mashed avocado topping, you just need avocado and everything seasoning!
How to Make Sweet Potato Toast
Air Fryer Method
- Prep your Sweet Potato: Start off by cleaning the sweet potato, peeling it, and cutting it into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Grease the metal insert with nonstick cooking spray. Layer the sweet potatoes in the air fryer basked in an even layer. You might have to do two batches.
- Cook: Cook the sweet potato slices in the air fryer for 12-14 minutes flipping them halfway through or until they are soft and fork tender.
- Preheat and Cook: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Layer the sweet potato slices on the prepared baking sheet and spray with nonstick spray. Bake for 20 minutes or until soft and fork tender.
- Assemble: For peanut butter granola sweet potato toast, top with peanut butter, granola and a drizzle of honey! For avocado mash sweet potato toast, top with mashed avocado and some everything seasoning!
- Prep them ahead of time! You can make a batch of sweet potato toast to have the sweet potato ready and assemble with your favorite toppings on the day of. Keep in mind, you might want to cook the sweet potatoes a little bit less so that they don’t get too soft when you reheat them.
- Cooking time varies! The cooking time here varies depending on the thickness of your sweet potato slices. If they are on the thicker side, try cooking them just a little longer.
- Choose the largest sweet potatoes at the store. The larger the sweet potato the better! That way, you have more surface area on the toast for all those delicious toppings.
- Slice off one end of the sweet potato first. For safe slicing, it is a good idea to chop off an end and stand the sweet potato on the flat edge to prevent any wobbling.
Sweet Potato Toast Variations
The toppings for sweet potato toast are endless! Whatever you might put on regular toast, you can definitely put on sweet potato toast. Here are some other options:
- Top the toast with a Fried Egg with Everything Seasoning
- Peanut Butter, Banana and Honey
- Ricotta and Blueberries or Raspberries
- Cottage Cheese and Fruit
- Cream Cheese and Jam
Are Sweet potatoes healthy?
Yes! Sweet potatoes contain a lot of nutrients. They are full of fiber, low in carbs and calories, and high in vitamin A, which is important for eyesight! Plus you will top these slices of “toast” with even more good-for-you ingredients for a super healthy snack or breakfast!
what to serve with sweet potato toast
More Healthy Recipes to Try
- Banana Bread
- Baked Oatmeal
- Oatmeal Smoothie
- Egg Muffin Cups
- Peanut Butter Energy Bites
- Sweet Potato Wedges
Sweet Potato Toast
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices
- olive oil spray
Option 2 (Mashed Avocado)
- mashed avocado
- everything seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.Layer sweet potato slices on to the prepared baking sheet and spray with non stick cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes or until soft and tender.
Air Fryer Method
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Grease the metal insert with nonstick cooking spray.Layer the sweet potatoes in the basket in an even layer. You may have to do two batches.
- Cook for 12-14 minutes flipping halfway through or until they are soft and fork tender.
- For Option 1 (Peanut Butter Granola): Top with creamy peanut butter, a sprinkle of granola and a drizzle of honey!For Option 2 (Mashed Avocado): Top with mashed avocado and a sprinkle of everything seasoning!
- For meal prep you may want to cook the potatoes a little less. You can reheat them in the air fryer or in the over or in the toaster.
- Make sure to let them fully cool before storing them away in a storage container or they will steam and get soft.
- The cooking time will depend on the thickness of the sweet potato slices.