Ultra Thick Soft and Chewy Ginger Sugar Cookies. The perfect combination of a sugar cookie and a ginger cookie all in one!
I combined my two favorite cookies. Gingerbread cookies AND sugar cookies. Can it get any better than that? These cookies are super thick, soft and chewy. The perfect combination of molasses and ginger with an extra sprinkle of sugar.
Some like their cookies thin and crisp I prefer mine thick and chewy. I love my cookies extra soft! I slightly under bake the cookies to get the super soft texture inside.
This Ultra Thick and Chewy Ginger Sugar Cookie is loaded with cinnamon, cloves and ground ginger. Super soft in the center with a sweet sugar exterior.
The cookies are rolled in sugar before baking and sprinkled with extra sugar after they come out of the oven.
I let the dough refrigerate for an hour to avoid the cookies from spreading in the oven. If you like a thinner cookie push down each cookie to flatten before baking. For a thicker cookie press down lightly. I used a fork to press my cookies down and give them the criss-cross pattern on top.
These Chewy Ginger Sugar Cookies are super simple to make. The butter and sugar are creamed together until light and fluffy. Then the egg and molasses are added. Combine your dry ingredients in a bowl and add into the wet ingredients in two parts. Make sure not to over mix. The dough will be thick and you may have to fold by hand toward the end. Cover and place the dough in the refrigerator for an hour to set. Shape into 1 tablespoon cookies, roll in sugar and pop in the oven! This recipe makes 15 cookies in total.
Add this easy cookie recipe to your holiday rotation.
Ultra Thick and Chewy Ginger Sugar Cookies
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup regular sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add butter to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Cream until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add in brown sugar and cream for another 2 minutes until combined.
- Add in egg and molasses, mix to combine. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl throughout.
- Combine flour, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in two parts. Do not over mix the batter.
- Cover and place batter in the refrigerator for an hour to keep the cookies from spreading in the oven.
- Shape into 1 tablespoon cookies and roll each cookie in the sugar.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet with a silicon baking mat.
- Using a fork gently press down on the cookie to make a criss-cross pattern.
- Place in the oven and cook for 11-12 minutes until set.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Sprinkle a little extra sugar on top and serve!
Original recipe from chefsavvy.com. Please do not publish my recipe or pictures without linking back to the original post. Thank you!