The only thing better than Peanut Butter Cookies are these Peanut Butter M&M Cookies! They’re super easy to make, freeze well, and are perfect to make anytime your sweet tooth strikes. Soft, chewy and buttery these are my go to cookies!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Make Your Peanut Butter Cookies Even Better with M&Ms!
By now you surely know of my love for cookies. Chocolate Chip Cookies, Brownie Cookies, Carrot Cake Cookies, Hot Chocolate Cookies, Thumbprint Cookies, Breakfast Cookies … I’ve made ’em all. In fact, I haven’t met a cookie I didn’t like! But peanut butter cookies hold a special place in my heart. I love topping them with chocolate kisses, adding some chocolate chunks, and sandwiching marshmallows between two of them.
But these Peanut Butter M&M Cookies have quickly become one of my all-time favorites. You get the classic chocolate and peanut butter flavor combination with lots of fun colors. This recipe just can’t be beat!
You can tailor these cookies to the holidays, too, by using whichever M&Ms are in season. They are perfect for Christmas. Halloween and even Easter!
- Room Temperature Butter: I typically leave my butter out on the counter for 2 hours or so to soften. If you are in a pinch simply heat butter in the microwave for 10 seconds, then flip the stick over and warm for another 4-5 seconds. You’ll have perfectly soft butter. You can also fill a glass with steaming hot water, then place that open side down over a stick of butter standing tall. This will give you room temperature butter in a minute or two!
- Sugar: You’ll need both granulated and brown sugar for this recipe. I find they are the perfect combination!
- Peanut Butter: Creamy peanut butter is your best option here! Regular —not natural — is also preferred.
- Egg: This helps bind all of the ingredients together and acts as a leavening agent, along with the baking soda.
- Vanilla: Cookies always need a heavy splash of vanilla! Opt for pure over imitation.
- Dry Ingredients: All you need is regular all-purpose flour, salt, and baking soda.
- M&Ms: Mix some by hand into the dough, but save some to top the dough with before it bakes so that the chocolate candies are visible from the outside.
How To Make Peanut Butter M&M Cookies
- Cream butter and sugar together in your stand mixer until creamy and fluffy.
- Add the peanut butter, and mix for a couple of minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Mix again until clump-free, scraping down the sides of the bowl so the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients. Mix on the lowest speed for less than a minute. Do not overmix, as that will result in a tough cookie.
- Add the M&Ms. Fold in the chocolate candies by hand. The mixer may break them up.
- Bake: Portion the dough into 16 cookies and place on a lined baking sheet. I like to use my fingers and slightly flatten the dough. This will help the cookies spread.
- Serve: Allow the cookies to cool on the hot baking pan for a minute or so, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy then or fresh out of the oven! These Peanut Butter M&M Cookies pair perfectly with a cold glass of milk or vanilla ice cream.
Storage, Freezing, and Reheating Instructions
- Store baked and cooled Peanut Butter M&M Cookies in a plastic bag or airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Freeze prepared dough in a freezer-safe container or plastic bag for up to 3 months. You can roll it in a log so it’s ready to slice and bake, or freeze as rolled balls so you can grab one or more whenever the craving strikes. You can also freeze cooled, baked cookies in a freezer-safe plastic bag or container for up to 3 months, as well.
- No need to reheat the frozen dough before baking! Just place on a prepared baking sheet, pop in the preheated oven, and bake.
Short on time? Then try my Microwave Mug Cookie!
More Cookie Recipes To Try
- Peanut Butter Reese’s and Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- Double Chocolate Chips Cookies
- Ultra Thick and Chewy Ginger Sugar Cookies
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (Soft & Chewy)
Peanut Butter M & M Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add in peanut butter and mix for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in egg and vanilla. Mix until combined and clump free.
- Add flour, salt and baking soda to the stand mixer on the lowest speed. Mix just until incorporated. Make sure not to overmix.
- Fold in M & M's by hand.
- Portion heaping tablespoon size cookies onto prepared baking sheet. Using your fingers gently flatten the cookies. This will help the cookies spread as they cook.
- Bake cookies for 8-9 minutes or until lightly golden brown and firm on the edges. Remove from the oven and let set for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. I always like to slightly under bake my cookies. They will continue to cook as they cool.
- Serve immediately with a tall glass of milk and enjoy!