Classic Mint Mojito made with fresh squeezed limes, mint leaves and rum. Refreshing drink for a hot summer night!
With the end of summer fast approaching I am savoring every ounce of sunshine and warm weather we get. Tomorrow is the first official day of fall and I am rebelling with this Classic Mint Mojito.
I love mint and I love Mojitos. I have had plenty of practice perfecting this drink. So has my boyfriend who makes them for me from time to time.
I make my mojito a bit differently then others. Instead of plopping the sugar in the drink I make a simple syrup. A simple syrup is a mixture of sugar and water that gets simmered. Once the water is hot the sugar will dissolve. Now you won’t have all of the sugar at the bottom of your glass. Your mojito will be sweet throughout!
I also like to muddle my lime and mint together instead of just squeezing the lime juice into the glass. It extracts as much flavor and juice from the lime as possible. I leave the squeezed lime wedges in the drink for presentation.
This simple cocktail is easy to make. While your simple syrup is simmering, muddle your lime and mint. Add in rum, the cooled simple syrup, and sparkling water. Pour over ice and enjoy! You will be enjoying this cocktail in less than 5 minutes!
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to accommodate a party or barbecue.
For a twist add a splash of pomegranate liquor or fresh berries. I love adding pineapple or blueberries to my mojito.
I like my mojito with a TON of mint. I put at least 10 mint leaves in each mojito. Muddling the mint extracts the oil making the drink much more fragrant. Don’t skip this step!
Celebrate the last day of summer with me and enjoy this Classic Mint mojito!
Like this Classic Mint Mojito Recipe? Check out my full collection of drinks!
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 20 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 lime, cut in small wedges
- 2 ounces white rum
- 2 ounces sparkling water
- Add sugar and water to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook until sugar dissolves. Takes about 1-2 minutes to dissolve. Take off of heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, add mint and lime in a small pitcher or large glass.
- Muddle together for about a minute until all of the juice is squeezed out of the lime and the oils have released from the mint.
- Add cooled simple syrup and rum to the mint and lime.
- Fill each glass with ice.
- Pour half of the mojito mixture into each glass. Top with sparkling water.