Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken. Slow cooked chicken in a sweet and tangy Asian inspired sauce.
This Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken takes only 10 minutes of prep time to throw everything together and is so delicious! All you have to do is mix up the sauce ingredients, chop up your garlic, ginger and green onions and throw it all in the slow cooker along with the chicken.
The chicken turns out incredibly juicy and tender by cooking it on low for 2-3 hours.
I made lots of sauce to go over the chicken with extra to serve over rice. It is sweet from the honey and tangy from the soy sauce. It also is loaded with tons of garlic and has a little kick from some sriracha.The sauce is made up of equal parts soy sauce and honey. I also add in sesame oil, hoisin sauce and rice wine vinegar. (These can all be found in the Asian or International section in your grocery store.)
After everything gets tossed into the slow cooker cook on low for 2-3 hours. I suggest checking it at 2 hours. (Mine took exactly 2 1/2 hours). It also depends on the size of chicken breast you are using. (Mine were pretty small)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (2 pounds)
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 scallions, sliced thin, divided (white parts for cooking, green for serving)
- 1 tablespoon cornstrach
- sesame seeds for garnish, if desired
- Place chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl whisk together soy sauce, honey, hoisin, vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and the white parts only of the scallions.
- Pour the sauce mixture ontop of the chicken and cook for 2-3 hours on low. (Cooking time depends on the thickness of your chicken. My chicken breasts were pretty small and took 2½ hours.)
- Remove the chicken from the liquid and place on a plate or cutting board. Allow the chicken to rest for a couple of minutes and then shred with two forks or slice it up with a knife.
- Meanwhile take 3 tablespoons of the liquid out of the slow cooker and pour into a small bowl. Whisk in the cornstarch until smooth and clump free. Slowly add this mixture to the liquid in the slow cooker and whisk until thickened.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and toss to coat it with the sauce.
- Serve immediately with sesame seeds and green onions for garnish.
Adapted from Spend With Pennies