This One Bowl Almond Flour Banana Bread is Gluten Free, Low Carb and loaded with fiber and protein! It’s the perfect healthy breakfast or snack to keep you full and satisfied throughout the day. This Almond Flour Banana Bread includes everything you love about traditional banana bread and makes it guilt free!
Almond Flour Banana Bread
It’s no secret that I love banana bread! It makes the perfect make ahead breakfast or snack throughout the week. I’ve made banana bread with whole wheat flour, with tons of chocolate and one with dulce de leche! You name it I’ve probably tried to add it to my banana bread. Although I still need to try the latest trend: chickpea flour banana bread.
This Almond flour banana bread is naturally gluten free, loaded with fiber and low carb! This is the perfect recipe when you have some bananas that have gotten too brown on the counter or you have some frozen bananas in your freezer. It is easy to make, nutritious, and now gluten free with my Almond Flour Banana Bread! I swapped out some ingredients for healthier ingredients, and this banana bread still came out moist and delicious. My kids loved it and my husband and I kept going back for seconds.
What makes this Banana Bread Healthy?
- Almond Flour: Is gluten free, loaded with vitamins and nutrients and high in protein. It has so much more nutritional power than flour so it makes the perfect healthy swap in this banana bread.
- Coconut Oil: Just like in my Whole Wheat Banana Bread Recipe I used coconut oil in place of the vegetable oil or melted butter. Coconut oil is still loaded with saturated fat so I reduced the amount I normally add. Coconut oil is also vegan friendly.
- Flax Seed: The powerhouse seed! Loaded with fiber and 3 essential fatty acids. Read more about the benefits of eating flax seed here.
Low Carb Banana Bread Ingredients
- Ripe Bananas: You’ll want to use ripe bananas for this recipe. The more ripe bananas are the sweeter your banana bread will be! If they were previously frozen, let them thaw before using them.
- Eggs: You can make this recipe vegan by replacing the eggs with an egg substitute. Learn how to make a flax egg here!
- Vanilla: Add vanilla for flavor!
- Coconut Oil: I swapped out the butter and or vegetable oil for coconut oil since it is healthier. Coconut oil has a very light flavor so your bread will not taste like coconuts.
- Maple Syrup: Maple syrup is a natural sweetener with a lot of flavor. If you don’t have maple syrup, try using honey.
- Flaxseed: Adds texture and fiber.
- Almond Flour: I used almond flour in this recipe to keep it gluten free, low carb and add vitamins and nutrients! The almond flour adds a hint of nuttiness and doesn’t weigh down the bread as much as all purpose flour does. This bread is incredibly moist! Almond meal is not the same as almond flour and can not be substituted. Learn more about the difference between the two here.
- Salt: Brings out the flavors in the bread.
- Cinnamon: Gives the classic banana bread flavor! Feel free to add more warming spices like ground nutmeg or all spice.
- Baking Soda: Helps the bread to rise.
How to Make Banana Bread
- Preheat the oven: Preheat to 350 F. Grease your bread pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix ingredients: Add mashed bananas, eggs, vanilla, coconut oil and maple syrup to a large bowl and whisk until combined. Fold in the flax seed, almond flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda until combined.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 50 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick.
- Allow to cool and enjoy: Let the bread cool for 15 minutes, then transfer to a baking rack and let it cool. Serve and enjoy! We love serving this banana bread with a pat of butter or peanut butter sprinkled with hemp seeds.
Variations of Almond Flour Banana Bread
- Nuts, Seeds and Dried Fruit: add nuts like walnuts or pecans, or add some sunflower seeds for added texture. Dried fruit like raisins or cranberries would be delicious too!
- Chocolate: Add chocolate chips or chocolate chunk for a sweeter bread more decadent banana bread. You can also use vegan chocolate chips and flax eggs to make these a vegan banana bread.
- Make Muffins: If you prefer your banana bread in muffin form, bake in a muffin pan! Increase the oven temperature to 350 F and bake for 25 minutes.
Tips and Tricks
- Don’t over mix your batter: Once you fold in the almond flour, mix until just combined. Over mixing flour can cause a tougher textured bread.
- Checking for doneness: Stick a toothpick into your banana bread to check for doneness. It should come out almost clean. The almond flour banana bread with continue to cook as it cools.
- Add in nuts: Like chopped walnuts or pecans for an added crunch and extra nutritional benefits.
- Sprinkle extra flax seed: or hemp seed on top of the batter before baking.
How to Store Banana Bread
- Storing your almond flour banana bread: Store your bread in an airtight container for up to 5-6 days. To reheat the bread, pop it in the microwave for a few seconds and top with some butter or jam.
- Freezing your almond flour banana bread: Wrap your bread in plastic wrap and then some foil and freeze for up to 2 months. To thaw, remove from the freezer and allow it to come to room temperature on the counter. Then reheat the loaf in the oven.
More Banana Bread Recipes to Try
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bread
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Dulce de Leche Banana Bread
Almond Flour Banana Bread
This One Bowl Almond Flour Banana Bread is Gluten Free, Low Carb and loaded with fiber and protein! It's the perfect healthy breakfast or snack to keep you full and satisfied throughout the day. This Almond Flour Banana Bread includes everything you love about traditional banana bread and makes it guilt free!
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup flax seed
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 5 pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add mashed bananas, (3) eggs, (1 tbsp) vanilla, (1/4 cup) coconut oil and (1/4 cup) maple syrup to a large bowl. Whisk until combined.Fold in (1/2 cup) flax seed, (2 1/2 cups) almond flour, (1/2 tsp) salt, (1 tsp) cinnamon and (1 tsp) baking soda until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 15 minutes then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.Slice, serve and enjoy!