This easy Apple Crisp recipe is reminiscent of homemade apple pie and apple cobbler. Topped with a crunchy oat streusel and filled with fresh baked apples, this is sure to be your favorite fall-inspired dessert!
What Is Apple Crisp, Exactly?
Homemade apple crisp is a quintessential fall dessert, so I knew I needed to create my own apple crisp recipe for all of you to enjoy this autumn. After a little trial and error, I’m proud to share what I consider the BEST apple crisp recipe ever with you today!
Apple Crisp is a flavorful, luscious dish that is best served warm with a big scoop of ice cream and maybe a drizzle of homemade caramel. It’s similar to apple pie or apple cobbler, but not quite either. It’s basically apple pie filing topped with a crunchy oat streusel (which is much easier to make and manipulate than homemade pie crust). Can’t you just smell the apples, cinnamon, and molasses-y notes of the brown sugar now?
Want to try an even easier version of homemade apple crisp? Try my Stuffed Baked Apple Crisp. No chopping required!
This easy apple crisp recipe is twofold — the crisp streusel topping and the rich apple filling.
For the crunchy topping, you’ll need light brown sugar, all-purpose flour, old-fashioned oats, and cold unsalted butter. For the apple pie-style filling, you’ll need 5 cups of cubed apples (about 5 average-sized apples), fresh lemon juice, cinnamon, and light brown sugar.
You can use whichever apples you prefer or that are in season, but I recommend Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Gala. You want ones that won’t turn to mush in the baking process.
How To Make Apple Crisp
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and grease a 9 x 9 pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter.
- Make the Crisp Topping: Add brown sugar, flour, oats, and butter to a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Pulse for 30 seconds or until the mixture is combined and resembles small pea size crumbs.
- Make the Apple Filling: In a medium bowl combine apples, lemon juice, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Leave the peels on your apples for more fiber and an easier prep process!
- Add some nutmeg or even pumpkin pie spice for more fall flavors.
- Add some chopped nuts to your streusel like pecans or walnuts for more crunch!
- Drizzle with some homemade caramel before serving with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Storage, Freezing, and Reheating Instructions
- Store leftover cooled apple crisp in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 5.
- Freeze this homemade apple crisp in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 1 month.
- Reheat from frozen, chilled, or room temperature in a 350-degree oven for 15 minutes or so, until crisp and bubbling around the edges.
More Fall Recipes To Try
If you enjoyed this homemade Apple Crisp, then you’ll love these other Fall desserts:
- Pecan Pie Bars
- Stuffed Baked Apple Crisp
- Apple Upside Down Cake
- Apple Cider Donuts
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Pumpkin Tiramisu
Topped with a crunchy oat streusel and filled with fresh baked apples, this easy Apple Crisp recipe will be your favorite fall dessert!
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 5 medium apples, about 5 cups
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 9 pan with nonstick cooking spray.Make Crisp Topping: Add brown sugar, flour, oats, and butter to a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Pulse for 30 seconds or until the mixture is combined and resembles small pea size crumbs.
- Make Apple Filling: In a medium bowl combine apples, lemon juice, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Bake: For 40-50 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream and enjoy!