Whole Roasted Mexican Chicken
Whole Roasted Mexican Chicken with Chipotle, Lime and Cilantro. Tender, juicy and loaded with flavor!
It’s fair to say I have a slight obsession with chiles in adobo sauce. I use it on everything. From wings, to sweet potato skins, even guacamole. The smokey, spicy peppers and sauce makes everything better. At least in my book it does.
I gave a traditional roast chicken a Mexican flair by rubbing the outside of the chicken with butter and chiles in adobo sauce.
Roasting a chicken does not half to be complicated. It takes only 5 minutes of prep time and about 1 hour to cook depending on the size of your chicken. Don’t worry about using a roasting pan either. I used a cast iron skillet to cook the chicken.
The roast takes about 1 hour to cook in a 400 degree oven (depending on the size of your chicken.) I went with a 6 pound chicken which took almost an hour and a half to cook. The Convection Microwave Oven cooked the chicken fast but still produced a juicy, tender chicken.
I like to roast my chicken until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees and the juices run clear. I let it rest for 15-20 minutes. This helps to keep the juices in the chicken before we cut into it.
I stuffed the inside of the chicken with lime wedges and onion. I rubbed the outside of the chicken with chilies in adobo sauce and softened butter. I then seasoned it with some salt and pepper. When the chicken comes out of the oven I give it a generous squeeze of lime juice and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
What to serve with this Whole Roasted Mexican Chicken
I love to serve this chicken with a side of my Spicy Pepper Jack Mac and Cheese, Grilled Corn and Black Beans Salad or my Famous Spanish Rice! It’s also amazing for meal prep and goes great in salads or burrito bowls!
Here are more delicious chicken recipes to try!
- Easy Chicken Katsu
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- Baked Teriyaki Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Caprese
- Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
Whole Roasted Mexican Chicken with Chipotle, Lime and Cilantro
- 5-6 pound whole chicken
- 1/2 onion quartered
- 1/2 lime quartered
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter softened
- 2 tablespoons chili in adobo sauce only
- salt and pepper to taste
- squeeze of fresh lime juice for serving
- chopped cilantro for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse the outside of the chicken as well as the cavity, pat dry. (The drier the chicken the crispier the skin will be).
- Stuff the cavity with the onion and lime wedges.
- In a small bowl mix together the butter and chilies in adobo sauce. Spread mixture onto the chicken.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
- Place in the oven and cook until juices run clear. For my 6 pound chicken it took 1 hour 20 minutes. A good rule of thumb is to check the temperature after 45 minutes to an hour. I take the chicken out at 160 degrees. It will continue to cook as it sits.
- Squeeze lime juice on to the chicken and top with chopped cilantro if desired.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing into it.
- Serve immediately.