Whole Roasted Mexican Chicken with Chipotle, Lime and Cilantro. Tender, juicy and loaded with flavor. Plus a Giveaway! Enter below to win a Sharp Convection Microwave!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sharp. The opinions and text are all mine.
It’s fair to say I have a slight obsession with chiles in adobo sauce. I use it on everything. From wings, to sweet potato skins, even guacamole. The smokey, spicy peppers and sauce makes everything better. At least in my book it does.
I gave a traditional roast chicken a Mexican flair by rubbing the outside of the chicken with butter and chiles in adobo sauce.
I made this Roast Chicken in the Sharp R-830 Convection Microwave. It turned out crispy, caramelized, juicy and full of flavor. I used the convection option to get the chicken crispy and brown on the outside. The best thing is I never had to turn the oven on at all.
Roasting a chicken dosen’t half to be complicated. It takes only 5 minutes of prep time and about 1 hour to cook depending on the size of your chicken. Don’t worry about using a roasting pan either. I used a cast iron skillet to cook the chicken.
The roast takes about 1 hour to cook in a 400 degree oven (depending on the size of your chicken.) I went with a 6 pound chicken which took almost an hour and a half to cook. The Convection Microwave Oven cooked the chicken fast but still produced a juicy, tender chicken.
I like to roast my chicken until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees and the juices run clear. I let it rest for 15-20 minutes. This helps to keep the juices in the chicken before we cut into it.
I stuffed the inside of the chicken with lime wedges and onion. I rubbed the outside of the chicken with chilies in adobo sauce and softened butter. I then seasoned it with some salt and pepper. When the chicken comes out of the oven I give it a generous squeeze of lime juice and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
I am also offering a giveaway along with this post! Sharp is offering one lucky winner a New Sharp R-830 Convection Microwave Oven!
Enter the giveaway for a chance to win below! Good luck!
Whole Roasted Mexican Chicken with Chipotle, Lime and Cilantro
- 5-6 pound whole chicken
- ½ onion, quartered
- ½ lime, quartered
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons chili in adobo, sauce only
- salt and pepper, to taste
- squeeze of fresh lime juice, for serving
- chopped cilantro for serving
- Preheat the Sharp R-830 Convection Microwave Oven to 400 degrees. (You can use the same method for a regular oven).
- Rinse the outside of the chicken as well as the cavity, pat dry. (The drier the chicken the crispier the skin will be).
- Stuff the cavity with the onion and lime wedges.
- In a small bowl mix together the butter and chilies in adobo sauce. Spread mixture onto the chicken.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
- Place in the oven and cook until juices run clear. For my 6 pound chicken it took 1 hour 20 minutes. A good rule of thumb is to check the temperature after 45 minutes to an hour. I take the chicken out at 160 degrees. It will continue to cook as it sits.
- Squeeze lime juice on to the chicken and top with chopped cilantro if desired.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing into it.
- Serve immediately.
NotesOriginal recipe from chefsavvy.com. Please do not publish my recipe or pictures without linking back to the original post. Thank you!
Congratulations to the winner Tommi Jones!