Easy Chicken Marsala
Easy Chicken Marsala is a rich and creamy dish made in one pan and ready in under 30 minutes! It’s an Italian staple that you can easily make at home.
Love making classic Italian dishes at home? Try my Authentic Italian Meatballs, or my Lasagna Soup for an ultra-comforting meal!
This is the Best Chicken Marsala Recipe you will ever try! It’s rich, creamy, and loaded with flavor. Thin chicken cutlets get seared in a hot pan until golden brown then served with mushrooms in a creamy marsala sauce.
The sauce is made up of marsala wine, chicken stock, and heavy cream. That’s it. It’s super easy to whip this up and most of the ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Ingredients for Marsala Chicken
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced in half are the perfect cut of meat for this recipe. You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you’d prefer.
- Flour: This coats the chicken so it becomes golden and crispy, and also helps to thicken up the Marsala sauce perfectly.
- Oil & butter: These two ingredients are added to the pan to sauté the chicken and then the mushrooms, and keep them from sticking to the pan. The butter also adds a deliciously rich flavor!
- Marsala wine: A dry marsala wine is the star ingredient of this easy chicken marsala recipe. If you can’t find Marsala wine substitute it with dry white wine and a splash of brandy or cognac.
- Mushrooms: Either cremini or button mushrooms!
- Stock: I mixed in chicken stock to add even more flavor and seasoning.
- Cream: Heavy cream makes this chicken marsala sauce rich, creamy, and so comforting!
How to make Creamy Chicken Marsala
- The trick to restaurant-quality chicken marsala is to slice the chicken in half so it’s super thin. This keeps the chicken tender and juicy.
- Next dredge the chicken in flour to coat then brown in a hot pan with butter and oil until golden brown on the outside. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
- Saute the mushrooms in the same pan until tender. Add in the marsala wine and scrape the brown bits from the pan. This adds so much flavor to the dish!
- Add in the chicken broth and heavy cream. Bring to a boil then simmer until the sauce is thickened and reduced by almost half, 10 minutes. Note: the longer you let the sauce simmer the darker, richer, and thicker it will become!
Add the chicken back to the pan and simmer until the chicken is warmed through. Serve immediately with parsley for serving if desired.
What to serve with this easy Chicken Marsala recipe
- Lemon Parmesan Rice
- Thin spaghetti
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Green Bean Casserole
- Roasted Asparagus
- Or serve over cauliflower rice for a low-carb option!
Storage & Reheating Instructions
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheat in the microwave, on the stove, or in the oven covered in aluminum foil, until heated through.
- Freeze for up to 3 months in an airtight container in the freezer.
Tips for Success
- Slice the chicken in half lengthwise to keep it tender and juicy after cooking.
- If you can’t find Marsala wine at the store, dry white wine with a splash of cognac or brandy is a great substitute!
- If you’re looking for a lighter sauce, substitute the heavy cream for half and half. This easy Chicken Marsala recipe will have the same great flavor but cut down on calories.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is chicken marsala sauce made of? Marsala sauce is made of very simple ingredients: butter, chicken stock, cream, mushrooms, and marsala wine.
- Is chicken marsala made with red or white wine? This easy chicken marsala recipe uses dry Marsala wine instead of red or white. It’s a fortified wine from Sicily with amazing flavor! If you can’t find Marsala wine, substitute it with dry white wine and a splash of cognac or brandy!
- What country is chicken marsala from? Chicken Marsala is an Italian-American dish, made with Marsala wine from Sicily. It is a variation of a scaloppina dish, which is a traditional Italian style of cooking that means “little scallops”, but more accurately translates to “a piece of thinly sliced meat”.
More 30-minute chicken recipes to try!
Easy Chicken Marsala
Easy Chicken Marsala is a rich and creamy dish made in one pan and ready in under 30 minutes! It is an Italian staple that you can make at home!
- 2 large chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally so you have 4 chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 8 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup marsala
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- parsley, for serving, if desired
- Sprinkle each chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Add flour to a shallow bowl. Add chicken breast one at a time and dredge them in the flour making sure to coat evenly.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter over medium high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown on the outside. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of butter and tablespoon of oil to the same pan the chicken was cooked in.
- Add mushrooms and saute until browned 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the marsala and scrape the browned bites from the bottom of the pan.
- Add in the broth and heavy cream. Bring to a boil then simmer until the sauce in thickened and reduced by almost half, 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and simmer until the chicken is warmed and cooked through to 165 f.
- Serve immediately with parsley for serving if desired.