Super Easy Lasagna Roll Ups. Loaded with ground chicken, tomato sauce and ricotta cheese!
These Lasagna Roll Ups are comfort food at it’s finest! I’m a huge lasagna fan. It’s one of my favorite dinners to make. I like to make a whole pan and freeze the extra.
The lasagna roll ups start with a quick and easy homemade tomato sauce. I start by browning ground chicken in a large skillet (you can always substitute ground turkey or beef). Next I add in crushed tomatoes, onion, garlic and Italian seasonings. I let the sauce simmer for 10-15 minutes while I am preparing the rest of the lasagna ingredients.
The roll ups are also stuffed with a ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella cheese mixture. When you are ready to assemble simply add 1/4 cup of the sauce and 1/4 cup of the ricotta cheese mixture to each lasagna noodle. Roll up and place seam side down in a baking dish. Bake for 40 minutes or until warm and gooey and golden brown.
Serve the lasagna roll ups warm with a sprinkle of fresh basil and parmesan cheese!
Lasagna Roll Ups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces (1/2 pound) ground chicken
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups freshly grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 12 lasagna noodles
- basil for serving, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet.
- Add in chicken and cook until browned and no longer pink. Remove from the pan and set aside. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil along with the onion to the same pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, sugar and oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 5-10 minutes while you are preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Add ricotta, egg, 1 cup mozzarella, ½ cup parmesan, pepper and parsley. Mix to combine, set aside.
- Cook lasagna noodles until tender. Lay a sheet of parchment paper on the counter and sprinkle with olive oil. Drain pasta and spread onto a single layer onto the prepared parchment paper. This helps to keep the noodles from sticking.
- Spread ½ cup of the sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- When you are ready to assemble layer ¼ cup of sauce and ¼ cup of the cheese mixture onto each lasagna noodle. Roll up and set seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining noodles.
- Spread the remaining sauce on top of the lasagna rolls. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and ½ cup parmesan.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Serve immediately with fresh basil for serving, if desired.