This delicious and easy caramelized onion dip is the perfect appetizer! It’s packed with savory and sweet caramelized onions, sour cream, cream cheese and balsamic vinegar. It makes the most creamy, flavorful, addictive dip that’s a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
You know that French onion soup mix you mix with some sour cream to make a classic and completely addicting dip? Well, this is that but elevated with even more deep, sweet, and savory onion flavor.
While it’s certainly not as simple as just dumping a packet of dried seasonings into a bowl with some sour cream, it doesn’t require much time or effort to make this more sophisticated, truly made-from-scratch version.
- Unsalted butter
- Extra-virgin olive oil (or avocado oil)
- White or yellow onions (sliced very thin)
- Sour cream (at room temperature)
- Cream cheese (also softened to room temperature)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Balsamic vinegar
- Light brown sugar (can used dark if it’s what you have on-hand)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
How To Make Onion Dip
First, caramelize the sliced onions. Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for an additional 10 minutes or so. Make sure they’re not burning, and reduce heat if necessary. Low and slow is the best method.
Then, add the caramelized onions to a medium bowl along with the sour cream, cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar and light brown sugar.
Stir until smooth and creamy. And season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve warm after heating in the oven for a few minutes or cold from the refrigerator. Enjoy!
Make this homemade caramelized onion dip a day or two in advance to maximize flavor! Or store extra portions in your fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
We don’t recommend freezing this caramelized onion dip as the texture will fall apart in the thawing process. More specifically the water will separate from the cream cheese and sour cream. Not ideal.
Tips For Making Caramelized Onion Dip
- If you love onion, consider mixing in some diced green onions in addition to the caramelized onions. The fresh onions mixed with the cooked ones opens up multiple layers of flavor!
- Roast some whole garlic in the oven and add a couple cloves to the caramelized onion dip! Garlic turns into a paste when roasted whole, making it a great addition to this recipe.
- Spice up this caramelized onion dip with some crushed red pepper flakes!
More Appetizer Recipes To Try
- Healthy Greek Yogurt Guacamole
- Instant Pot Deviled Eggs
- Homemade Hummus
- Pepperoni Bread
- Air Fryer Cauliflower Bites
- Easy 7-Layer Dip
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a review! This helps other readers and my website! I love to hear your feedback!
Caramelized Onion Dip
This delicious and easy caramelized onion dip is the perfect appetizer! It's packed with savory and sweet caramelized onions, sour cream, cream cheese and balsamic vinegar. It makes the most creamy, flavorful, addictive dip that's a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced really thin
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Caramelize onions: Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in onions and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for an additional 10 minutes or so.
- Combine: Add the caramelized onions to a medium bowl along with the sour cream, cream cheese, worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar and light brown sugar. Stir until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve: Either warm or cold from the refrigerator!