Grilled Chicken Caprese
This Grilled Chicken Caprese recipe features juicy chicken breast topped with mozzarella cheese, tomato, basil, and a homemade balsamic reduction. It’s everything you love about caprese salad, but turned into a full, filling meal!
If you love grilled chicken, then you’ve got to try my Korean Grilled Chicken and my Thai Grilled Chicken!
The BEST Grilled Chicken Caprese
This Grilled Chicken Caprese is the perfect summer meal. When it becomes warm enough to start grilling, I literally can’t get enough! Grilling chicken is one of my favorite ways to prepare it. The chicken gets nice and browned and crisp on the outside and the inside stays juicy. I use fresh tomatoes and basil from my garden, which makes it SO flavorful! If you are getting your produce from the store, try to get the highest quality tomatoes and basil possible. This makes a huge difference!
The chicken breast gets seasoned with Italian seasonings, garlic powder, and onion powder. I grill the chicken, and then top each breast with a slice of mozzarella cheese, tomato, basil and a drizzle of the homemade balsamic reduction.
And the best part? This meal comes together in under 30 minutes from start to finish! You can’t go wrong adding this Grilled Chicken Caprese to your dinner rotation.
This grilled chicken recipe uses easy to find ingredients for ease! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken Breast: For this grilled chicken caprese recipe, I think that chicken breast works best. You could also use boneless, skinless thighs if you prefer!
- Seasonings: Italian Seasoning, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder and Salt & Pepper are used to season this chicken to perfection!
- Fresh Mozzarella: You can buy a log of fresh mozzarella for this recipe and slice it into thin slices. There are also pre-sliced logs available at the store sometimes!
- Tomato: Use the freshest tomatoes you can find! Slice them according to your liking.
- Basil: Thinly slice the basil to sprinkle on top!
- Balsamic Reduction: Balsamic Vinegar and Light Brown Sugar are used to make your own homemade balsamic reduction. The combination of acidic and sweet pairs super well with the chicken!
How to Make Grilled Chicken Caprese
- Preheat & Prep the Chicken: Preheat grill to medium high heat. Season chicken breasts with Italian seasoning, garlic and onion powder. Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Grill: Spray the grill with non stick cooking spray and cook the chicken breasts until they are almost fully cooked.
- Add Cheese: Top each chicken breast with a slice of mozzarella. Close the grill and allow it to cook for a few additional minutes to melt.
- Add Toppings & Enjoy: Remove the chicken from the grill and top with tomato and basil. Drizzle with the homemade balsamic reduction. Serve immediately and enjoy!
How To Make a Balsamic Reduction
Making the balsamic reduction is super simple, and so worth it!
- Combine the Balsamic Vinegar & Brown Sugar: Add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to a small saucepan. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce has reduced by half. Keep warm until ready to use. You can keep the balsamic glaze in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Tips for the Best Chicken Caprese
- Don’t overcook the chicken! Chicken breast is pretty easy to overcook since it has a low fat content. Keep an eye on the chicken on the grill and make sure you cook only to 165 degrees F.
- Don’t have a grill? No problem! You can definitely cook this grilled chicken caprese in the oven. Set the oven to 450 degrees F and bake the chicken for about 15-18 minutes until it is cooked through. With about 3 minutes left, place the cheese slices on the chicken to allow them some time to melt.
- Let the chicken rest before eating. In order to maintain juicy chicken, you have to let them rest about 5 minutes before eating. If you dig in too soon, all of the juices will fall right out!
- Don’t skip the balsamic reduction! Yes, it is a little bit extra work, but it is SO worth it! If you don’t want to make it at home, you can also find balsamic reduction at the store for ease. You can also use any leftover balsamic reduction on salads or a simple caprese salad on a later date!
What to Serve With Grilled Chicken Caprese
Grilled chicken caprese is delicious on it’s own but also goes well with a variety of side dishes to make a full meal! Try pairing it with some of my favorite recipes:
- Pesto Risotto
- Pasta with Garlic & Oil
- Grilled Wedge Salad
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Brussel Sprouts
- Fettuccine Alfredo
Storage and Reheating Instructions
- To Store: Store leftover grilled caprese chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To Reheat: Reheat chilled leftovers in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until warmed through.
More Chicken Recipes to Try:
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- The BEST Chicken Parmesan
- Easy Chicken Shawarma
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Easy One Pan Bourbon Chicken
- Easy Thai Chicken Satay
Grilled Chicken Caprese
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices mozzarella
- 4 slices tomato
- 2 tablespoons basil sliced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Season chicken breasts with italian seasoning, garlic and onion powder. Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Spray the grill with non stick cooking spray and cook the chicken breasts until they are almost fully cooked.
- Top each chicken breast with a slice of mozzarella. Close the grill and allow it to cook for a few additional minutes to melt.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and top with tomato and basil. Drizzle with the homemade balsamic reduction. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to a small saucepan. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce has reduced by half. Keep warm until ready to use.